View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2012, 06:48 PM

Luxating Patella in both rear legs, anyone have any experience?

As title says, anyone have any experience of luxating patella in both rear legs in a dog?
Her ladyship that is Flo had been a bit unstead on her feet over the weekend we noticed, and not as mobile as usual (even surpassed her favourite activity of charging around the side of the garden when the manure man came!) and was just generally quiet. She couldn't keep up on sundays walk so we just went home but she picked back up again. This morning she seemed to just go limp towards her rear end, both rear legs looked as if they stuck out at a very awkward angle, and she kept yelping. Straight to the vets obviously and he's said it seemed to be luxating patella in both rear legs. They were "popped back into place" or whatever it is they do too them, and it seemed the left was markedly worse than the right. She's been put on metacam for the pain, and we're going on a "wait and see" outlook.
Does anyone have any experience of luxating patella in both rear legs in a dog? Does it tend to reoccur? Any way of minimalising the chances of this? What was the eventual outcome?
I had the great quote from a man in the vets when asking what was wrong with Flo as I was paying of "but she's a crossbreed, their always healthy."
Whoever said crossbreed are bombproof and soundly healthy was a fool, she's seven and a bit now and always been good to go but in the last year she's cost well into triple figures for her dog version of a slipped disc, her strange lumps, her skin disorder, and now this!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 10:36 PM
No advice I'm afraid but sending Flo my best wishes
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2012, 10:41 PM
loads expereince of this

ive known plenty of jacks and toy breeds with luxating patellas.

eda jap spitz dog had 2 luxating patellas back leg.
stella patterdale cross ditto

its why you often see jacks hopping round on a back leg from time to time
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2012, 11:04 PM
She's a westie x dandie dinmont so a generic small breed, albeit? Do you know if it commonly occurs again, and what the overall outcome tends to be? I know sometimes surgery etc is used as a solution.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 12:29 AM
My dog is a toy breed too and has had luxating patellas in both hind legs. She has had operations on both legs to pin the joint in place and is (touch wood) still healthy a year/6 months later

My dog was slightly different from yours in that her legs went at different times - the hind left leg went first, she had an operation to have it repaired and then 6 months later, her hind right leg went and we went through it all again.

Personally, from my experience it is not something that goes away once the leg is popped back into the socket. If anything, once it comes out the first few times, it pops out more easily in the future. I am probably biased because of my experience but if your girl is young & you have the money/insurance, I would personally go for the op & get it over with now.

Since having the op, my dog has not had any issues with either hind legs and is back in normal condition. The only problem I've had is with the pin rubbing & causing abcesses but that is easily sorted by removing the pin.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to give my experiences
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2012, 08:15 PM
My dog has also had both her back legs done, one side was a grade 2 but the other side was 4/5 and luxating laterally, sadly there have been complications with this leg and it is still a work in progress!!

Your vet should be able to grade the legs and give you all the pros and cons of surgery, if its only a grade 1 I believe it can be managed well with the right exercise.

Would be worth a trip to a phsio/hydrotherapy centre and as someone on here advised me make sure they are a member of NARCH
Hope all goes well for you both
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the input, it was put across to me that in the left rear leg it was very little to concern over but in the rear right it was something to be monitored further. I fully believe the left patella had been luxating on and off over the past week or so, then with the going of the right rendered her in pain she couldn't remain stoic over. I was really just looking for direction on the best non surgical ways which can be explored to make things a bit easier.