Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 09:41 AM

Kennel Cough again?

Argh!! This happens every time one of the boys has to go in the vets for any length of time...

I think they've got KC

The symptoms are totally different from last time, and indeed, they've no other symptoms except the cough...

They don't cough all the time; and spent all yesterday evening on the beach running around like loonies and dragging on each other's collar without so much as a whisper. Murphy coughed when just sitting on the sofa; Max did it when I was cleaning out the chickens this morning

It's a real "something-stuck-in-the throat" dry hacking cough, which last about 10 seconds and they're fine. They are both eating and drinking normally.

I don't really want to take them to the vets, as all they do is give me AB's and charge me £40+ for the priviledge. I've got some Benylin Childrens Chesty Cough stuff and have been giving them that, and also a bowl of honey and lemon to share.

If it's not KC, I can't think what it would be. My OH has put forward the suggestion that their new beds are shedding a lot of fluff/fibres and maybe it's irritating their throats?? I'd like for that to be true, but I suspect it's not

It's so annoying, as we'll have to miss training for a couple of weeks, and Murphy has just started in a new class....

Grrr...........
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2008, 10:24 AM
I have always found that once they have had it, they either never get it again or just a milder dose of it, mine all came down with it last year after I had a russian puppy in waiting for importing in to England, it brought it with it although it had no signs of it at the time it arrived, I hope Murphy and Max are feeling better soon

Mo and the Gang
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Your Oh could be right, but can I ask is it the chickens causing it...dust ofF thier feathers. Although KC does have a habit of returning usually milder. Try the Benylin again. Hope you solve the mystery. Good luck xxx
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Your Oh could be right, but can I ask is it the chickens causing it...dust ofF thier feathers. Although KC does have a habit of returning usually milder. Try the Benylin again. Hope you solve the mystery. Good luck xxx
EEK! They're not that close to the chickens luckily (or the hens would be dinner)

I should clarify that when I was cleaning the chickens out, the boys were sat on the other side of the fence (about 7 foot away) watching me.....
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Have to say even though my vets ask that people do not bring coughing dogs into the surgery but leave them in their cars, people still do and yes a dose of KC or fleas or both often accompanies the medication and the bill you take home.