Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2006, 08:40 PM

Irrational Phobias/fears.

Not sure if this has evey been covered on her before, but here goes.

I'm just curious if anyone has any phobias/fears (irrational or not). I am scared of so many things its stupid.

The reason I ask is I've always been absolutely TERRIFIED of needles, havent had one since I was 6. Missed all the injections in comprehensive school, havent had my Booster, my MMR top up, Meningitus, none of them. But I have recently faced that fear, I have had two blood tests in the past month, and now I've bitten the bullet and booked in to have my MMR top up. I feel very proud of myself. I dont know if its age, and I've just matured, or if having the the first blood test put my mind at ease, but the thought of an injection doesnt scare the beejeebies out of me anymore. I used to break out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.

And believe it or not, I have also conquered my biggest fear. I was absolutely petrified, scared wittless of......dogs. Yip dogs. Up until 3 years ago I had to check out of the window before leaving the house incase there was a dog on my street, i couldnt visit friends with dogs. I was even frightened of my grans maltese. When I was in college, I used to make sure there was someone standing at the bus stop before I left my house (I could see it from the window). I would be straining my ears for sounds of dogs. If I heard a dog barking in the distance I would start sweating, my heart would start to pound. It was awful. It ruled my life. And it was completely irrational, as I had NEVER had a single bad experience with a dog.

Then my OH parents got a puppy, monty the beagle. And I was scared stupid of him, didnt think he was cute. didnt want to go near him. But over time I got better with him, even though he turned into a monter when he was a pup. He used to bite so much, and scratch, growl. Really nasty, and it helped me. Being around an aggressive dog helped me on my way. Then we got shadow, and that was it. I can honestly say hand on heart I have not once been scared of a single dog i have met since having her, I actually look forward to meeting new dogs. I am a complete an utter born again dog lover

I am also scared of spiders, loud noises especially loud washing machines, they freak me out. Heights, spiders, and any animal with big flat teeth, like mice, or hamsters, or horses and most definately rabbits, I am soooooooo scared of rabbits.

So what about anyone else?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 08:42 PM
snakes.............can't do snakes not keen on heights either
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
snakes.............can't do snakes not keen on heights either
yeah im not a big fan of snakes. Im always scared one's going to come up my toilet. I read once that a boaconstrictor escaped from someones flat, it went down the toilet, and ended up in someone else bathroom by coming up through the toilet. Can u imagine that, turning the bathroom light on and fining 6ft of snake on your floor.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-01-2006, 08:52 PM
My fears in this order:

1)Doctors/hospitals
2)Needles
3)Dentists (which i have an appointment next wednesday...)

I would have died a few years back cause i kept throwing away letters the hospital kept sending,but my mother when visiting-found one and all hell broke loose.Still scared witless of them,but thankful she convinced me to go.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Geese!!!!................
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Can't say I have any fears at all..( apart from the end of the world, earthquake etc...)

I take my snakes and lizards around schools and nursery's to encourage the children to see there is nothing to be scared of...
Many children take their irrational fears off their parents..
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 09:20 PM
ooh house spiders me especially when your in the bathroom and theres one on the wall ready to pounce on you watching you with there beady eyes ooh shivers down the spine already
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 10:11 PM
The only thing I'm scared of is Dentists...and I force myself to go every nine months.
Interesting ....the things people have phobias about though
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2006, 11:04 PM
The only fears I can think that I have of are sharks and heights. I love swimming but I get very panicky in water if I even think about sharks. Even in swimming pools (well, we are talking about irrational fears!). If I even let myself think about sharks for a second I have to rush for the side and get out of the water asap.

Fear of heights doesn't seem very irrational to me. I feel sick and get vertigo if I look down when I'm more than a few metres above ground level, but I think there's something wrong with people who aren't afraid of heights!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 11:08 PM
I don't like having water in my face but that comes from two near-drowning episodes as a kid. A couple of years ago my hubby taught me to swim (albeit briefly ) underwater and to perform the breast stroke properly (I was doing it with my head sticking up at an angle) so I'm very pleased with that.

Other than that I can't really think of anything. I'm not overly-keen on spiders but I can deal with it.

I don't like hospitals, Dr's surgeries or dentists but I do go .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >