Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:29 AM

Ideal weight for a young collie?

Does anyone know if there are any reliable guides to size/weight/age for BCs?
I'm trying to decide if Chip is just too skinny and whither to change his food.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Well my vet told me that an ideal weight would be something around 20/22 kg for a dog and not sure about a bitch, thats full grown which would be 53/55 cm
Elaine xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't know how old your pup is but the rule of thumb is that if the ribs are too prominent then he is too thin, if you can't feel them when running your hand gently over the side then they are too fat.
Research has shown that dogs kept on the leaner side live a lot longer than those that are at the 'recommended' weight for their breed.
Hence I never look at the weight range for my breed, I just use the feel the rib method. When they are at what I consider their ideal weight I weigh them and use that as my guide as to whether they are fat or thin. Remember, though, if a puppy then their weight will vary considerably until they are mature.
Becky
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 10:03 AM
BC's vary so much that it is difficult to say how much they should weigh, my 2 girls both weigh 15 - 16 kgs and my 2 boys weigh about 18 kgs, but none of them are particularly big dogs, the girls are both about 19" tall, 1 boy is 19.5" tall and the other is 20.5" tall. I have known of 1 BC that weighs 12kgs and looks perfectly fine and I know of several that are 22 - 23 kgs and aren't fat. I think it's just the ribs should be felt, but not seen.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 10:47 AM
i think this is a common question with BC's hun. they go through a long legged, look skinny time....everyone of mine have. People thinking they are candidates for Oxfam

Skye used to be very very skinny, to a point that people commented, now she is nearly 3 and weighting 17kg but she is smaller in height, but looking good.

Reah has a weight control diet but then Reah can bounce from 17kg to 22 over night practically if we don;t watch her.

Bruce is now 17 months and very tall all legs but weighing 18kgs but then he has time yet to fill out....

It's one of the horrible stages of young BC's that i don't like....people always say....''god he's tall but isn;t he skinny which he isn;t it's a normal thing with some BC's
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. maybe he's just at a skinny stage. He's 13 months and 19.6 kgs and just over 20''. The thing is I'm feeding him almost twice the suggested amount of Burns and he's always hungry and has nothing much covering his ribs.
Dale's a nice size. I can feel the ribs easily but they're covered,
mind you he eats more Burns than he should for his size.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Ah a lot of people have said that their dogs fail to gain weight when on Burns. Maybe consider another brand?
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I agree with the others that you shouldn't go by weight, but by feel.

The recommended amounts are only guidelines and particularly as your boys are no doubt very active, I wouldn't be concerned about eating a bit more than the recommended amount, however, needing twice that imo would suggest the food isn't the best for him.