Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kelvyn
New Member!
Male 

02-11-2010, 08:07 AM

Toilet training 6mnth springer

hi had daisy almost a week shes a 6mnth springer she is clean all day and for the first 3nights but for the last 3 nights she has dirtied,i take her out at 11. and up at 5 any ideas how i can stop this,dont really want to put her in a crate at 6mnths old
thanks
kelvyn
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 08:26 AM
What time do you feed her last meal? I think it takes 4 hours to go through (when they`re awake) so maybe feeding earlier would help.
She might also have a bit of an upset tum from the change of environment? A week is not long for her to adjust.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Get up at two or three and take her outside.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-11-2010, 09:20 AM
crates are for adult dogs too

mine love them, they are good for all sorts of reasons.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi Kelvyn as Claire says it can help to adjust the feeding times. The clock change can affect some dogs too because it alters their routine, I tend to introduce the hour change gradually half an hour at a time.

I would also look at the quality of the food you are feeding, some foods produce a lot of waste, if you are feeding a complete food I would go for a good quality food like Fish4dogs (they have a website).

It is very important throughly clean previously soiled ares to remove every trace of scent, use a none ammonia based cleaner like biological washing powder.

Is she spayed? If not a change in soiling habits at 6 months can be an indication a bitch is coming in season.

Finally try to make sure your dog is empty when you leave her by giving her every opportunity to relive herself last thing. To do this I would take her a short walk preferably to a place where other dogs walk ,the scent of other animals and the exercise will stimulate her to relieve herself.

I take my dog for a short walk last thing every night, I know it can be a pain in bad weather but she always 'does both' at this time and I can go to bed safe in he knowledge she is comfortable for the night
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
crates are for adult dogs too

mine love them, they are good for all sorts of reasons.
Mine loves his crate when he's tired.

Why don't you want to use a crate Kevlyn? It's the more logical reason, does she have the run of the house/downstairs? It may be because of fireworks, you may not hear them but she can.

My 9 year old, who is extremely housetrained to the point where she will let herself out if needbe and the door is unlocked, heard some fireworks on sunday night and went to the toilet in the kitchen.

If you really dont want to use a crate I would suggest walking her last thing at night then putting her to bed, that way she gets exercise and gives her chance to go to the toilet at the same time - Benjie wont go on the garden, well rarely, so he has to go out at 9 (4 hours after his dinner) then all the dogs are settled for the night. However with the fireworks going off they arent getting walked til 11-12pm.
kelvyn
New Member!
Male 

02-11-2010, 10:17 AM
thanks for the quick replies..her last meal is at 6.0pm and i take her out about 10.30,when she goes it is quite runny,but not sure if changing her food on top of everything else is a good idea shes currently eating delta (reluctantly)which is what they were feeding her in the shelter..dont really like the idea of locking her in a crate but maybe something to think about.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Crates are great.

When the breeder advised a crate I was horified.

but

we got one and my 15 week old lab loves it..........it is his own little den a place where he goes to chill out during the day and to sleep safe and comfy at night..............and he has only soiled his crate once and that was his first night.......

might be worth a try
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by kelvyn View Post
thanks for the quick replies..her last meal is at 6.0pm and i take her out about 10.30,when she goes it is quite runny,but not sure if changing her food on top of everything else is a good idea shes currently eating delta (reluctantly)which is what they were feeding her in the shelter..dont really like the idea of locking her in a crate but maybe something to think about.
Maybe changing her food is a good idea - if it's upsetting her stomach, you could also mix in a little brown rice/ pasta if it's a dry mix. Brown rice is good for upset tummies.

Dont think of it as "Locking up" she's a pup - think of it as a safety precaution - she wont chew anything if she's in the crate with her own toys - if she makes it her own she wont go to the toilet in there (dogs are clean animals) it'll be just putting her to bed, like putting your child in their own bed at night and closing the door. Blankets over the top (but not so she can reach them to pull them in) work well. I would do some research and really consider it, tehy seem cruel but like Jols said they arent, they're a great help.

We only had Louie in a crate for 4 weeks then he was house trained fully (the crate wouldnt fit in the caravan when we went on holiday so he got used to sleeping with the other dogs) and he was only 12 weeks old. She may be feeling a bit scared - where in the house does she sleep. If you put the crate in your bedroom then she may settle down a bit, you've only had her for a week. Plus having a crate with her and you in the same room may make you feel a little less bothered about putting her in one - you know she's safe.
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Get up at two or three and take her outside.
Agree she just may not be able to hold it long enough.

Personally I'm not a fan of crates I know they work for some people but I believe if you want a dog as a pet you should be able to allow and train it to have freedom around the house without having to put them in a crate to stop certain behaviours.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >