Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 07:43 PM

Stunned by new blow - Polo has epilepsy

Just four weeks after I buried Polly, my beautiful 6 year old boy Polo had a major fit just after I arrived at the kennels to collect him tonight. (the two of them are in daycare while I am at work and love it there) It was very frightening and ended up with him lurching around like a drunk and collapsing like he'd been shot. I took him straight to the vet and was told that he has second stage epilepsy
It's very early days, this weekend will be critical to establish how seriously he is affected, but if he starts to fit every day then I will probably have to say goodbye on the other hand, he may not have another fit for 3 months and carry on for years with good management. He is home now, has had his tea and two x 30mg phenylbarbitone, I need to watch him carefully over the weekend and log anything that happens. Back to the vet Monday.
Apparently there are many possible triggers, including hormone changes (he was neutered in the spring) missing Polly or the excitement of being in the showring last weekend after a year off.
If anyone can offer any advice or information, I would be very grateful.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 07:51 PM
aww im so sorry ive nmo advice to offer just big hugs for you all
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2006, 07:55 PM
the only thing i can think off is to keep him as calm and quite as possible, if getting excited could be the trigger try and avoid it.
i hope and pray it can be controlled and you have many years together yet, fingers crossed for no goodbyes.
take care of him but also yourself!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Aww I dont have any advice either but i just wanted to send you & Polo lots of {{{hugs}}} x
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 08:07 PM
oh bless, not had anything like that so can't offer any advice - except to give loads of hugs and tlc. stay strong. xx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Maybe a one off? Has he done it before?
Dawn.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Oh no, not another one.

Look, my dog has been diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy (do a search on Dogsey for posts by me on the subject of epilepsy or seizures - I just replied to Sabs' posts on this subject too) and it is an awful condition but manageable.

Loki's seizures began in February of this year - he wasn't even 2 years old. To make it worse they come in clusters - he suffers from about 12-13 seizures in around 3 days. Then he has the awful aftermath - the post-ictal phase which lasts up to 5 days - he stumbles around like he's drunk, confused, agitated, compulsive - it's just awful as he is inconsolable and bangs into things - I really worry he will break a limb.

Initially he was seizing every 10 - 14 days but we now have him on potassium bromide and the fit free time has increased to around 35 days ... so far. In fact we are at the stage today where he's never gone this long without a fit so are on tenterhooks waiting for the next round.

Read Snorri's article on this site and also have a look at these links, in particular the Guardian Angels website:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...m/site_map.htm

http://www.canineepilepsy.co.uk/Linx...vetoquinol.htm

I have reached the depths of despair with Loki's condition. I've tried everything - all the supplements etc. but in the end we had to medicate him. Phenobarbital is the drug of choice and works well (please read my post to Abs which I did just before seeing yours tonight) but there are side effects to be aware of, including possible liver damage, but steps can be taken to reduce this. The alternative is potassium bromide, which is what Loki is on (or a mix of both). It takes longer to build up in the system (3 months) and isn't that well known in this country as a first-line drug but we are continuing with it as Loki had an adverse reaction to PB and it has a better side-effect profile. I don't think possible liver damage is acceptable in a dog which is under 2 years old if there is an alternative. KBr is dearer than PB too.

Please do search my other posts as I've written quite extensively on here about seizures. It IS manageable, I promise. But it takes time. Another drug to consider in conjunction with the others is rectal diazapam - this is valium administered rectally during a fit in order to reduce clusters (see the Guardian Angels website for info). I'm not sure how good it is as the results are variable with Loki.

Other care related things are keep the room quiet with reduced lighting in a fit, support but keep hands out of the dogs mouth as he may bite accidentially. Offer food and water afterwards as he will be ravenous and thirsty. Maybe try rescue remedy. Keep blood sugars stable (organic ice-cream at night can help with this). Some swear by an ice pack applied to the back during the seizure only to bring the dog out of a fit but I have had no good results with this. Keep a log of his fits and you may be able to predict when the next one might be or find a trigger.

Hope your dog is okay. Epilepsy does not have to be an immediate death sentence. Loki continues to enjoy a full, active and happy life in between seizure episodes - it is me who suffers during these times .

Is there anything that has brought on your dog's seizures- toxins, food, something environmentsl?
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

11-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi Deccy no can't offer any advice but hugs to Polo
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Sorry i can't offer any advice but thinking of you and sending hugs xxx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran