Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2011, 02:41 PM

So much for the diet

Pereg has been doing very well on her diet but asked for her first meal earlier than usual today - around noon - and instead of then being OK until the evening she started nagging for food about three hours later. As she was getting really demanding and almost distressed, I gave her her dinner. She must have been really hungry as she kept nudging the empty bowl around to hunt for anything that she might have missed.

I cannot see her going through now until tomorrows first meal but really do not want to give her any more food this evening.

Her weight loss had been going so well...
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 05:26 PM
You know what it is like yourself.

Some days you just feel hungry and some days you can go with out.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-11-2011, 06:50 PM
I have had to give her another meal as she was going absolutely frantic, and she is now flat out. It was mostly vegetables so should not set her diet back too much, but she was absolutely ravenous.

She has been very antsy all day until this last meal and I kept thinking - and still am for that matter - whether she has a seizure brewing, as she has just not been herself. Maybe it has been the rain that has disturbed her? Whatever it was/is is a bit of a worry though.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Oh gosh, that is a worry Malka.

I must admit, some days Jin will start pacing and whining because she is hungry. She is fed in the morning and evening and have never really bothered with lunch.

I hope Pereg is ok and just having a munchy day. Can you try and distract her when she is getting antsy perhaps?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Filling her up with vegetables is a great idea, and shouldn't do too much damage to the waistline should it?

I do hope that you are wrong about the brewing seizure
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 07:18 PM
If you want to give her veggies, make sure things like peas are squished or mushed. You have to break the cellular wall so they are actually digested!

Raw whole carrot, or mushed veg with a bit of mince should be OK.

How about mushed veg and mince stuffed into a KONG and then frozen?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Pereg does not have a Kong - not sure if she would know what to do with one either. All the vegetables she has are diced and steamed - occasionally I will give her some bought frozen mixed vegetables but mostly get fresh, steam them and open freeze then pack so I can take out a handful of whatever whenever.

She does have a lot of vegetables to bulk her meals and has started losing weight, but still another few kilos to go.

I think it is because of the rain - too cold to sit here all day with the door open and the rain coming in just so she could do her usual flonk down and look out. So she has been antsy and unsettled.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 11:00 AM
phoebe has hungry days every now and again and ends up having an extra meal.

hope all is and that your wrong about a seizure brewing
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Luckily Pereg made it through another day but she was antsy and nagging until we went to bed. Pacing and whining and grumbling - climbing the side of my chair and grabbing my arm, and generally being a right PITA!

She is normally fairly good and when she did used to try it on some evenings for more food, she accepted that NO means NO but yesterday she just was not right somehow. It was behaviour identical to how she is after a seizure, when the meaning of "no" goes completely out of her head until she has gotten over the post-ictal period and is back to normal, which is why I was getting more and more concerned about her - much as I tried to ignore her and not to show that I was worried.

So far today, at just gone 2pm, she has not asked for any food - she will be having chicken wings as her first meal which will please her! Given the chance she would eat them all day and every day! Evening meal is fish and vegetables - good thing I keep a food diary so I know what she has/should have each day!

Actually the diary is to keep a record of her behaviour as much as her food, so I can see if there is any connection between anything and her seizures. So yesterday's behaviour was all typed out before I went to bed.

Such a worry, but I love her so much. SIGH