View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-09-2006, 10:41 PM

Poorly after second vaccination injection - any ideas why?

Hi, while you are talking about vacinations i wonder if any one has had problems like we've have had.
When my Lab (Gem) was givin her second injection at 12 weeks everything seemed ok for about 4 hours, then she started being sick and had bad a bad case of the runs. This lasted for about 3 days, we did see a vet who gave us some tablets and a drink to give her and she started to pick up another 3 days later. She now at 6 months has a fairly weak stomach, none of her brothers or sister have.
I did ask the vet if this could have been caused by the injection but he did or would not say.
Has any one known of this problem, we dont know what to do next time her injections are do.
Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Hi Gaz I would say there is a possibility Gem had an adverse reaction to the vaccination, she could also have already had a tummy bug or picked something up in the vets.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Gaz I would say there is a possibility Gem had an adverse reaction to the vaccination, she could also have already had a tummy bug or picked something up in the vets.

Echo the above completely. My advice would be to titre test before vaccinating again to make sure Gem needs a booster firstly, good chance she won't. But if she does then have a good discussion with vet first about your concerns.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Jake took a few days to get over his 2nd injection. Was very quiet and a bit "runny". Called vet and she said it was coz the 2nd dose was stronger and just to keep an eye on him.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Jake took a few days to get over his 2nd injection. Was very quiet and a bit "runny". Called vet and she said it was coz the 2nd dose was stronger and just to keep an eye on him.
Your vet was incorrect the reaction to the second vaccination is nothing to do with the vax being stronger they are all the same. It is more likely to have contained lepto & this is what causes the reaction(according to the professer at a veterinary university who is involved in vaccinations & blood testing-not just my personal opinion)

I would definitely titre test before vaccinating again & your vet should have course done a full medical before vaccinating as all the manufacturers state that only 100% healthy animals should be vaccinated
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 08:39 AM
yup what they said ^

Vets won't discuss 'reactions to vaccines' it is a frightening subject...if it could ever be PROOVED then they would have a major part, as they administered it.
Yet another reason why not to booster, the reactions that CAN be linked (ie. the owners know the puppy before and after) are NOT recorded, meaning the reactions that the public are told about are 'negligible'. In reality there are alot more cases of reactions than we are led to believe.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 08:57 AM
If you are worried about giving boosters you may want to consider using Homeopathic nosodes instead of the vaccines. Google them for more info. There is also some info here:
http://www.cyberpet.com/cyberdog/art...th/nosodes.htm
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-09-2006, 10:05 AM
One more question regarding vacinations. If a dog haz a titre test and states that it does not need a boster, do you get some conformation regarding this. I wondered because most kennels require an injection certificate before you can leave you dog with them.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-09-2006, 10:11 AM
I know that there was a thread on here re titre testing which was very interesting and informative.
I think I remember it saying that you get a print out of a titre test showing the immunity levels for each one, i.e. distemper, parvo etc.
Apparently a kennels will accept this as it proves the dog's immune system is OK
I know I found it very reassuring as our types of dogs tend to have a bad reaction to innoculations due the Nordic type breeds having high immune levels already, and an innoculation o.d's them.
My 2 had their 2nd booster because they had already had their initial one before I got them, but I am now going down the road of getting titre testing. However, have also read on here that boosters now need to be given only every 3-4 years, so am eagerly awaiting the next instalment of information
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
One more question regarding vacinations. If a dog haz a titre test and states that it does not need a boster, do you get some conformation regarding this. I wondered because most kennels require an injection certificate before you can leave you dog with them.
You get a certificate to say your dog is immune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >