Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lucylou
New Member!
Female 

22-12-2006, 06:07 PM

mouthing on his ted and crying - a lot

my yorkie was rejected by his mum as a tiny pup and was hand reared by the breeder. from when we brought him home until he was 8 months he mouthed a lot on his ted and paddled away as if he was feeding from his mum. He was castrated and the mouthing stopped. We moved house 3 months ago and in the past 3 weeks the mouthing has started again, paddling like mad and he is whimpering whilst doing it. He is now 16 months and completely settled in our new home and I can't think of anything that has upset him or worried him.

I comfort him by stroking him and talking to him but it upsets me because its a reminder that he was rejected but also wonder if he needs the comfort or if I should ignore it. A neighbour's dog does this and he too was rejected by his mum and he is 7 and does it all the time. Does anyone else's dog do this? Is is because he was rejected or natural?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by lucylou View Post
my yorkie was rejected by his mum as a tiny pup and was hand reared by the breeder. from when we brought him home until he was 8 months he mouthed a lot on his ted and paddled away as if he was feeding from his mum. He was castrated and the mouthing stopped. We moved house 3 months ago and in the past 3 weeks the mouthing has started again, paddling like mad and he is whimpering whilst doing it. He is now 16 months and completely settled in our new home and I can't think of anything that has upset him or worried him.

I comfort him by stroking him and talking to him but it upsets me because its a reminder that he was rejected but also wonder if he needs the comfort or if I should ignore it. A neighbour's dog does this and he too was rejected by his mum and he is 7 and does it all the time. Does anyone else's dog do this? Is is because he was rejected or natural?
Hi Lucy Lou any changes to routine can affect a dog.
The behaviour you describe sounds like terrier behaviour/normal puppy play and nothing to do with being hand reared or being separated from the dam which your little dog wouldn't be aware of. Perhaps the move made him repeat the behaviour.

Whatever the case your 'comforting' is rewarding and reinforcing the behaviour making it even more worthwhile .

If you don't wish the behaviour to continue ignore it, you could also exchange his 'ted' for a more stimulating toy like a kong or a toy with holes that allows small pieces of meal to fall out.