Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 03:35 PM

Training tonight

Getting all excited, coz I love this new training club! It'll be our 4th one there and today, we managed to walk 100 yards, yes 100 whole yards with Zena stuck glued to my left leg, face staring up at me, NO TREATS, lead all lose, just because I had her ball in my bum bag (and she knew it!) and I was chatting and praising her all the way - I almost cried when we got to the end of the track I was on!!! I wonder if she'll be that good for me tonight????? I might ask them if I can use my ball instead of a treat, coz it doesn't seem right to me to hold something in your hand to get this heelwork, coz you can't always do that can you, whereas I CAN always have that ball stuffed somewhere on my person! Lol! Oh I love training my new girlie and she seems to be loving it too!

I'll let you know later then how it went
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:00 PM
It sounds like you are doing really really well with her Helena, and that she is very focused on you. I always prefer the reward to be a toy instead of food because then the reward is interactive with you and strengthens your bond, and because mostly dogs which aren't hungry aren't fussed about food lol
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Lol! You're right there skilaki about the focus on me, coz tonight we did recall,Zena was straining on the lead even when I walked off and came down the other end to me like a thing possessed!!!! The trainer said to me, I bet she never takes her eyes off you does she? Of course she doesn't I said!!!

Tonight we did lots of talking, which I like, coz the trainer talks a lot of sense (being an obedience competitor herself and having had shepherds all her life) mainly about recall, but we already excel in that, so I'm desperately waiting for the jumping up one next week, coz we're c*ap at that, she'll jump up at everyone if I don't stop her first, especially Dave, and we can never seem to stop that until she's greeted him her way!!!

She told me that I have to slow down and calm down for Zena, coz I'm a bubbly dizzy type of person, and she wants me to calm down and do everything very slowly and gently with Zena I told her she'll have a big problem with that coz I'm far too old for her to train ME! We'll see, I'll do my best, but you can't change your personality can ya!!!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:23 PM
That's wonderful Helena, she is a clever girl. I'm glad your enjoying it too, coz I think that is half the battle isn't it. If your relaxed and enjoying it the your dog will too!!!

You know the saying...."You can't teach an old dog new tricks" Well you will just have to make them eat their words
Elaine xxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Lol, but I have never done,slooooooow and quiet, I'm like a whirlwind and LOUD!!! Dave's the gentle breeze around here!!! I'll try my best though around Zena, but if she's focused on me, then she obviously finds me great fun to be next to doesn't she??!!!
Penry
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Well done Aitch and Zena . . . x x x x x x
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Oh well done H - she is a very clever girl - do you think you might enter into the competitive obedience world - sounds like you are lovely training Zena so much - you are both doing really well
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Penry View Post
Well done Aitch and Zena . . . x x x x x x
Thanks Shane, I think she finds it easy - unlike moi!

Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Oh well done H - she is a very clever girl - do you think you might enter into the competitive obedience world - sounds like you are lovely training Zena so much - you are both doing really well
Thanks Rachel I'd really love to, but that's a long way down the line yet, coz of course she has to be 2 years old, but I am definitely going for Gold with this one, after the bronze and silver of course!!! I think she'd make a good pat dog actually, coz I keep taking her over to the care home where my mum is, and she sits so nicely in front of each one of them to get a fuss, and she kisses their hands, and is very gentle and quiet (until we get out of there of course!!!! ), so it's something I want to think about with her. If I can manage to slow myself down that is, coz it's never the dog, it's always the owner, and my trainer says I have to slooooooow down and caaaalm down for HER sake, and it works, I've been trying itout this morning, so I will make an appt. with whoever, to get my own nutty personality changed to one of peace and tranquility! Lol! You might be seeing a different "me" in the future on here, but don't hold yer breath!!!