Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2007, 10:58 AM

cocker spaniel- skin conditions?

hi
i was just wondering if cockers were prone to skin conditions, i noticed a rash on her belly and mentioned it to the vet when i took her to have the lump examined and she said it was prob just an irriation to what she picked up walking throu the fields but i have noticed it getting a little worse, i flead her last week as a precaution (i couldnt find any fleas or flea dirt) as were the cats, and im off to the vets for wormers for all three. i know some breeds fo have skin conditions are cocker one of them??
thanks
ATD xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi ATD never had a problem with parti colour cockers, I have had little to do with solids .Rashes can be caused by so many things I wouldn't like to comment on the cause. If you are going to the vets maybe ask about malaseb wash which can help with rashes in some instances.

What do you feed? Feeding a food with the least additives and colourings possible can help.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2007, 11:31 AM
asda dry and weetabix, i was going to try washing her in my tee tree shampoo??
ATD xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
asda dry and weetabix, i was going to try washing her in my tee tree shampoo??
ATD xxx
Hi ATD that would not be my first choice of food, and some dogs have a wheat intolerance so weetabix may not be the best thing either.

If you are going to feed a complete food I would go for one of the better ones like Burns or Arden Grange, there are lots ot threads on foods in the food section with recommendations

Tee tree is good yes,if you are off to the vets anyway I would get him to take a look at the rash .
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2007, 11:39 AM
thats the thing the vet has seen the rash already and said its nothing to worry about, i started to use weetabix because it was the only thing that would stop her being soft :S, i am googling hypoallegenic foods now
ATD xxx
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2007, 11:47 AM
hi atd if it is warm and making the dog itch try putting some suda cream on it is great to take away the itching and cools the skin, it does not hurt the dog my vet asked if used it as she would recommend it. just a thought
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Could just be the grass has irritated where she has walked through or it could be food intoklerance. Many dogs are wheat/gluten intolerant and it can manifest itself in lots of ways.
The diet your girl is on is not the best as it is high in wheat/gluten. Wheat is just a cheap bulker to foods and dogs cannot actually absorb any goodness from it. Being loose could be a side effect, as could the rash, itching etc etc, you will also notice more and bigger poo as well.
There are many good wheat/gluten free complete foods on the market and not all are expensive. PAH own and Wainwrights are two good ones as well as Wafcol etc.
You may find once settled on a new diet (takes approx 2-3 months) your dogs stools will firm as she will be able to absorb and utilise the goodness from her food much better.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2007, 12:11 PM
i was thinking food intollerance so have been looking at the prize choice meat i have looked into the before and desided against it but hae just rang them about the daily amounts and for a 10 kg dog:
100-150g of their meat and
200-300g if fruit and veg
ATD xxx
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2007, 12:22 PM
we've had more than a few cockers over the years both parti-colours and solids and i've never had any suffer from skin problems. so it could be something she has rubbed up against in the fields or her food? defo get the vet to have another look and explain you think it's getting worst.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2007, 12:30 PM
i have only noticed it getting worse since i put her on weetabix so am goin to remove that factor before i take her to the vets becuse that is the 1st thing they will tell me to do
how quickly would you change her food over to a meat/veg/fruit one? i have read to change it over a week but im not sure that it long enough
ATD xxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >