Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 09:20 AM

what would you do in this situation?

Chances are it may not happen again, but it's happened twice now with 2 different dogs - this morning being the 2nd time.
So we are walking round the farm (quite a few dogs out this morning) & this lab comes hurtling towards us from behind whilst his owner is shouting for him to stop stay wait etc... from about 200yds away.
he was built like a brick sh*thouse (the dog not the man!) I've never seen such a big solid lab.
So I guess he wanted to play with Tilly but he was so heavy he was leaping on her & she kept yelping & trying to get between my legs, then I got trod on & I had flip flops on ouch) Every time Tilly tried to get away he jumped on her & when she layed still he did too. I put Tilly on her lead & tried to walk away - but that was pointless, so I had to wait for the man.
I held on to the lab's collar but he was leaping on me.
The man seemed to take ages getting to us (still shouting & screaming his dog who wasn't take a blind bit of notice of him)
He apologised & everything, put him back on his lead saying his dog was just a bit frisky - I said it's just that he's so bloody heavy & he was leaping on the pair of us.
So he then waited "kindly" for us to go.
Not 2 minutes later.......... it happens all over again!!!

It wasn't until afterwards thinking shudda,wudda,cudda....... maybe I should have slipped Tilly's lead on him & dragged him away from her?
I suggested to the man he should take his dog to training & pointed to place just up the hill were we go.
he said nah, it's just he's a big dog & He's 9 years old. I told him Tilly's best friends are a massive Rottie & a young GSD who are both huge - they play & roll about but they don't make her yelp. Then I gave up & went on my way AGAIN!!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 09:35 AM
The times when we've had dogs hurtling towards us like that, I have put Missy behind me and purposely blocked the other dog from reaching her. I've used my body to do that.
For it to happen to you twice by the same dog on the same walk, is incredibly bad manners by the owner - and they'd have felt the sharp edge of my tongue for the second incident.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
The times when we've had dogs hurtling towards us like that, I have put Missy behind me and purposely blocked the other dog from reaching her. I've used my body to do that.
For it to happen to you twice by the same dog on the same walk, is incredibly bad manners by the owner - and they'd have felt the sharp edge of my tongue for the second incident.
I'm too nice to people for my own good & this bloke was a know it all (NOT!) - I'm better at having a bitch when I get home!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 10:42 AM
What do I do? Turn round and walk away. The dog gets fed up or the owner catches it. But then my dogs are big enough to shove back.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 04:52 PM
This happens all the time to us. If the person apologizes I don't mind, particularly if it is just an out of control young dog. We have all been there and accidents where your attention lapses for a moment happen. However, if the person tries to shift the blame to me ("He thinks your dog is bitch"), makes stupid excuses ("oh, he has NEVER done that before!") or makes no attempt to apologize I won't be as pleasant.

In your situation I would absolutely be pissed off if the same thing happened two minutes later. My Lab was no saint in his earlier years, but if I were in that mans shoes I would certainly NOT let the dog back off lead a minute or two later. I think it is pretty obvious what would happen if the dog is the type to run from half a field away. My usual line is, if someone has really peeved me off, 'Sorry, but you should keep your dog on a bloody lead if you can't control it'. I save the 'bloody' for numpties that I have had numerous runs in with.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 05:38 PM
There but for the grace of God!!! Not yet though thank goodness!!! I'm waiting though....

Nothing you could have done, good job it was friendly enough for you to grab hold of it's collar, but be careful of that in the future, coz SOME dogs take offence to having their collar grabbed if they haven't been taught it like we do with our own dogs, I've seen a policeman do that to a stray dog (gsd) I managed to corner and he got bitten! It's Sunday you see, I expect you went out after 9am and you know what happens then I make sure I'm back home well before 9 am around here on a week-end, you only get the real dog walkers out at week-ends before 8 I'm afraid, well around here you do! I hope Tilly came off none the worse for wear, bl**dy people! No need to ask what I would have said to him is there?!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
There but for the grace of God!!! Not yet though thank goodness!!! I'm waiting though....

Nothing you could have done, good job it was friendly enough for you to grab hold of it's collar, but be careful of that in the future, coz SOME dogs take offence to having their collar grabbed if they haven't been taught it like we do with our own dogs, I've seen a policeman do that to a stray dog (gsd) I managed to corner and he got bitten! It's Sunday you see, I expect you went out after 9am and you know what happens then I make sure I'm back home well before 9 am around here on a week-end, you only get the real dog walkers out at week-ends before 8 I'm afraid, well around here you do! I hope Tilly came off none the worse for wear, bl**dy people! No need to ask what I would have said to him is there?!
Lol yeah I could have done with you there to give him what for.
Course you are right about grabbing his collar (I realise now) he didn't appear at all agressive though ,even when I was holding him (apart from trampling on my tooties) I still can't get over how big he was - not fat just "huge" & his head was massive!
Tilly was fine though it makes me laugh when we go walks every day you tend to see the same people/dogs - but when it's sunny all the idiots come out. I wonder if they stay home when the weather is rubbish!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 06:05 PM
I know exactly the type you mean Tillymint, they are my favourite labs with the big heads and chunky bodies as compared to the skinnier variety, we have two around my way, but then they're under complete control even though they're offlead. See that's what I don't mind, dogs offlead are fine, IF the owner is actually WITH them like I'm always with mine, but sadly, that seems to be happening less and less doesn't it Even today, up at that show with all those obedience poeps I was with, they all kept their dogs onlead and they said, it's not their dogs they have to be careful of, it's all the others running around free coz you just don't know do you! That's what we have to have in mind on every single walk isn't it, who's up ahead, are they offlead, is the owner with them, are they friendly, blah, blah, blah and then you get this what happened to you!

From my own personal experience, I have only had my bad walks after 10.00 am. in the mornings, so if you can get out that bit earlier I'm sure you're not going to have any of these problems, coz it seems to me, the real dog walkers are out at the crack of dawn even on a Sat/Sun, so I'm sticking with that, mainly for my OWN safety though! Lol!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
It's Sunday you see, I expect you went out after 9am and you know what happens then
Yup, it's muppet country round here on a weekend too
BigV
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Well, I think all dog owners have been on both ends of this type of situation.

My dog did this twice today, she is a year old GSDx (very big too) and seems to have completely selective hearing. She ran off to play with a staffie and then later on the way home she ran off to say hello to a group of people (which she has never done before!).......... so todays walk has convinced me I need to join a dog training class ASAP, as she completely ignores my commands when out on walks at the moment.

I think the thing to remember is it can be pretty embarrassing for the owner (I know it was for me today) and some friendly advice is better than losing your temper in this situation.

Can anyone recommend any training classes on the coventry / midlands area ? lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >