Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Accents

When we went on the Staffs walk, we got talking to a couple and their children who owned a 5 month old weim x pointer. Now the children asked me if the dogs were allowed a treat and they were trying to get Louie to sit. Only they had a brummy accent and it looked like he didn't understand what they were saying.

So do dogs differentiate between accents or have I just got an ignorant puppy?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Dogs tend to generalise - so your Sit command will be not only your voice but your posture and movements. If you don`t believe me, try to keep perfectly still when you tell your dog to do something.
I bet you also have the same intonation and pitch. It`s just something we get into the habit of.
So the dog simply didn`t understand.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Dogs tend to generalise - so your Sit command will be not only your voice but your posture and movements. If you don`t believe me, try to keep perfectly still when you tell your dog to do something.
I bet you also have the same intonation and pitch. It`s just something we get into the habit of.
So the dog simply didn`t understand.
Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me - I do tend to move my hand towards the dog for sit and lean forward when I ask him to down...hmmm.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Rupert doesn't even know his name if it's said with an Irish accent
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 08:24 PM
tilly can sit down in english, french, spanish
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 08:53 PM
so do you think m,y woofs will only respond to a scottish accent ! , like tilly I speak to mine in french and little bits of other languages I have picked up on my travels , seems to work if its consistent despite the accent
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:15 PM
All my clients start to sound like me after two sessions!
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-01-2011, 09:58 PM
no-one understands Brummies, we Black Country folk live next door and we are at a loss with them.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 10:48 PM
When we went to a trade show, I had a rummage around the leather/suede stalls. The young girl there was lovely, charming and friendly, so much so that I bought an item, can't really remember what it was now even, but then she asked me if I wanted a Cow Tanger, well I couldn't make it out and she repeated it again and again, I was trying to think about cow=leather=Item of clothing.......in the end she picked up a coat hanger!!!!!!!!!! duh...............I should have know I suppose but being a southerner wasn't quite used to the accents up in that area of the world...... soon got used to them though........
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 11:19 PM
We confused a girl working at our butchers over Christmas. I asked whether they had any dog bones and she thought we asked for duck bones
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >