Our sister sites
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2005, 10:54 AM

Garden-based weirdness

Hiya all,

this is probably gonna be a long post, but I'll try to keep it short LOL

We're having our kitchen extended, which is bedlam. At the moment, the dogs are only allowed to go out into the garden with me and on-lead. Over the past couple of weeks, Satch's been behaving weird when I take him for his business. He's fine when he gets in the garden, does his wee as normal (seems happy enough at the time), but when it comes to poo time, he seems to get very clingy. He knows and obeys "have a wee" and "have a poo", but just after his wee, he drops his head, slowly walks towards me and leans against me; he goes all soppy, if that makes sense, seems to want a lot of fuss and reassurance.

He's fine when out for a walk, loves going into the garden, but it's as if after his wee he doesn't want to be out there anymore. As I said, he's happy enough going in the garden and weeing. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is, whether the builders are here or not, or what's actually in the garden.

What d'you reckon's causing this clinginess?

Becs
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2005, 11:07 AM
I guess the building disruption could be causing a bit of stress. Also, it is not unusual for a dog to confuse pees & poos. He may think that he has done his duty by peeing and is not perfectly sure what else it is that you are encouraging him to do. Best thing would probably be back to basics and, rather than 'nagging' (sorry can't think of a better word at this time of night) him to poo, just take him out again a few mins afters his piddle and, if he performs use your poo word and lots of praise. He is clinging possibly because of a) the disruption and/or b) he is not too sure what he is supposed to do.

Think I'll go to bed now
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi Beccs maybe just the change in routine? dogs are creatures of habit and don't like change.. Amy hates to be watched doing a poo and usually squeezes herself into a bush, this is not so easy when she is on the lead and I am on the other end or for 'picking up'