Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
New2Dogz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2010, 10:43 AM

Flea & worming treatments - how often?

Following the recent interesting and very enlightening thread on vaccines, I would be interested to hear how often Dogsey members treat their dogs for fleas and worms (and which are your preferred products as well!).

Being new to owning a dog I can only go on my experience as a cat owner and I tend to use Frontline for him but not necessarily every month - in fact, I tend not to use it at all throughout the winter, start using it again in the Spring but every 6-8 weeks rather than every month. We have not had any problems with fleas for several years now using this regimen. I probably worm him every 6 months in reality - I use Drontal.

What do people do with their dogs? (I shall be asking the vet for his opinion when I take Millie for her second lot of puppy vaccinations but I'm interested in hearing the views of dog owners).
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Since there were a couple of cases of whip worms in our extended pack a few years ago, the dog guide school has been giving us Sentinel which we administer monthly. It does heartworm, whipworm, fleas, and some other things.

I have enough to last Raven until time to go to school. I have a good supply for Samson too. He recently developed cataracts and can no longer work as a dog guide. His partner sent along what she had for him, so he is set for a while. Since he is no longer a working dog, he isn't allowed to live in her apartment complex. I will have to choose something and buy it my self when his Sentinel runs out. Whipworms are very hard to clean out.

Last year we were raising a puppy for a different school. Our vet had some samples of Interceptor which he no longer carries. He gave them to us. All that stuff is outrageously expensive. It is nice not having to have bought any recently.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I've always used Frontline for Fleas, and Drontal wormer......But my dog has a low immune system so now we're using Advocate which covers him for everything
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I worm every 6 months (Drontal), but I haven't done the flea treatment for awhile, because Jamie had such a bad reaction to Frontline it scared me, have used Advocate on him before so thinking of doing that... have also been using garlic (low level) to ward off nasty pests!
New2Dogz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I've not heard of Advocate before and have just checked out the Bayer website about it - I like the idea of not having to use a flea product AND a separate wormer but with monthly use, is there not the danger of overloading the system or are the ingredients totally safe for such regular use?
Me&MyDogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2010, 09:22 PM
My dogs have no sign of fleas & worms for over 3 years. I only treat mine has & when they have them. I just my dogs for fleas & worms aprox every 2 -3 weeks & during groomong sessions, So alot of times really. IMO its like treating a child from headlice every 4 weeks.

But mine do get a garlic capsule in their food 3 times a week, Then goes upto 5 times per week in the warmer months.

This is all my own personal choice though, I'm not tryin to convince anyone