Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-06-2009, 07:20 PM

Mally and GSD rescue...

The phonecall said

*Someone wants to rehome a Malamute in a hurry, as she's leaving her flat and can't take it with her. Can you help?*

I got in contact with the wonderful melodysk who put me in contact with Cynthia at the Alaskan Malamute Rescue. She asked how long we had, and I replied that I thought we had until the end of the week. She asked then that I should try and get pics, info, anything that would help rehome the Mal...

Then things went bad...

I went round to take pictures of the Malamute (who turned out to be called Marley) the following night...there was no reply to my knocking, but frantic barking.

I tried to look through the letterbox...there was a dog-aweful smell coming from the flat...and it had a rubber flap on the inside, so I stuck myhand through to push it up, and immediately set off a clamouring of barking and hammering of claws on lino...

A German Shepherd appeard at the door, the barking slavering jaws jammed through the letterbox...and a soft pink tongue gave me a very thorough wash...

Having persuaded the GSD to move, I could see that there were piles of dog faeces on the floor, and a dreadful stench. Then Marley appeared from round the corner, and he was beautiful!

Investigating (not really difficult...I knocked on the neigbour's door!) produced the info that the woman had actually abandoned the property and the dogs 48 hours before...

She was a *MIND* patient, so had mental problems, but of course they shut at 4pm, so I couldn't contact her. So I contacted the police, who could do nothing without an RSPCA officer. I contacted them, to be told their one inspector was working nights, and would contact me...

I stayed there from 4:30 pm until 10:00, feeding dog biscuits and ice cubes through the letter box, but wasn't contacted. Eventually I had to leave them, but I made sure they'd had sufficient to drink and something to eat...

The next day I got our housing officer to contact MIND, who contacted the tennant...she'd left the fridge open for them, and the toilet seat. The fridge! Everyone knows that when hungry there is nothing a dog likes more than to go to the fridge and make themselves a BLT sandwich! Argh!

I was working when the housing officer rang to say the RSPCA and police were in attendance...apparently the woman had told the RSPCA that the Mal was *A bit of a handful* and the RSPCA man was making arrangements for Marley to be destroyed. I won't tell you exactly what happened, how many laws I broke to get to the flat, nor exactly the language I used to express my displeasure at the man's arrogance. However, suffice to say that I got Marley into the hands of the Dogs Trust, who had no trouble with him and will see how he behaves and will perhaps try and rehome him, or keep him and look after him.

The GSD went back to the woman who had sold him to the girl in the first place...she was also waiting when the door was opened.

So, a difficult event, but in the end a success, of sorts. Neither dog was harmed, both were in good condition...and I only lost about three nights sleep and 4 years of my life
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I am sure Marley was a 'bit of a handful' if he was kept in a flat and never exercised properly. What is it with the RSPCA and their apparently eagerness to pts any animal they come across??
I am sooo glad you sorted it out, those dogs owe their lives to you, you are a HERO!!!!
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I am sure Marley was a 'bit of a handful' if he was kept in a flat and never exercised properly. What is it with the RSPCA and their apparently eagerness to pts any animal they come across??
I am sooo glad you sorted it out, those dogs owe their lives to you, you are a HERO!!!!
Oh no. No no no. I'm a dogsey person. Anyone here would have done at least as much, I'm willing to bet
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Just so glad you were there for them and went the extra 50 or so miles
I just wanted to cry for them. I look at my 2, and cannot for the life of me understand WHY people behave like that with big dogs, or any dog for that matter. I could never neglect any animal I was responsible for. I am feeling bad today because they haven't had a walk because a lad has been here doing a new roof on the big kennel and it has been raining and it is chaos at the moment anyway, but to just leave them like that
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Just so glad you were there for them and went the extra 50 or so miles
I just wanted to cry for them. I look at my 2, and cannot for the life of me understand WHY people behave like that with big dogs, or any dog for that matter. I could never neglect any animal I was responsible for. to just leave them like that
I second that. Well done Gaz, thank goodness you were there to sort it all out. Two very lucky dogs owe you big style. I hope they find the forever home that they deserve.
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Gellygoo View Post
I second that. Well done Gaz, thank goodness you were there to sort it all out. Two very lucky dogs owe you big style. I hope they find the forever home that they deserve.
Oh, you don't know how close Willow came to having two brothers! They were lovely dogs In that respect at least they were lucky NCDL got there before I did
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Well done, Gaz. How lucky that you (and Melody) were there for them.

Big hugs x0x0x0x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Brilliant Gaz - you went the extra mile for those dogs, well done!
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Well done, Gaz. How lucky that you (and Melody) were there for them.

Big hugs x0x0x0x
Lucky too that the warden there, Babs, knows just what a complete sucker I am when it comes to Canine Catastrophe...

I think I may have been used! I feel cheap!
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Brilliant Gaz - you went the extra mile for those dogs, well done!
No, I really didn't.
I would like a show of hands here...is there anyone reading this that would not have done *exactly the same thing* if the situation arose?

There...told you
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >