Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Anti-bacterial hand gel overload?

After spending a great deal of time in hospitals/care homes etc over the past 5 years(and finding dispensers often empty) started to always carry some in pocket. I now use it all the time after touching supermarket trollies/baskets,door handles,walking dog after using dog bin etc. Does anyone else do it or is it being over cautious? I try avoid unwanted germs for fear of illness you see.
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I use it a lot but mainly because a lot of people don't ! I also use it on my steering wheel as thats a really germy place and the hand gels are ideal for it
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I think being too sterile can be just as bad for you. Studies show that kids growing up outside of the sterile little bubble lots of mums want to put their children in nowadays tend to have better immune systems because their bodies have been exposed to the small amounts of dirt and germs. Certainly never did me any harm to grow up on a farm, always outside making mud pies, climbing trees, etc. - me and my brothers were some of the healthiest kids in school, not coming down with bugs going around etc. and I imagine the same thing can apply just as much to humans too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Oh, I'm with you on this one, having spent numerous days/weeks/months visiting my old mum in hospitals and care homes, I've got the wipes and the bottle just like yours, but I always forget to put it on after parking up the trolley, and now I've ended up with yet another stinking cold coz of all the coughers and sneezers in Sainsbury's! I wish I'd thought about it last week though, coz I'm really suffering now!

Different when you're kids, yes, you need to be exposed, but not when you're getting older and more susceptable to germs, it's too risky!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 05:42 PM
I have it, but always forget to use it - i'm a cancer/chemotherapy patient too lol
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Nope, I only use it when dealing with patients. I think we've got carried away with the whole sterility thing sometimes (I know that there are people, like Hevvur and those with low immunity etc who need to be extra careful). I think you need to be exposed to some germs to build a resistance to them. My kids are allowed to eat food if they drop it on the floor (within reason! Not outside etc) as long as they pick it up straight away, I'm not rigid about hand washing but I do expect them to wash their hands after going to the toilet, after being outside etc. A bit of dirt never hurt anyone imo!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
Nope, I only use it when dealing with patients. I think we've got carried away with the whole sterility thing sometimes (I know that there are people, like Hevvur and those with low immunity etc who need to be extra careful). I think you need to be exposed to some germs to build a resistance to them. My kids are allowed to eat food if they drop it on the floor (within reason! Not outside etc) as long as they pick it up straight away, I'm not rigid about hand washing but I do expect them to wash their hands after going to the toilet, after being outside etc. A bit of dirt never hurt anyone imo!
Great post, I agree!
10 second rule for food on the floor, then if it goes over 10 secs, it's the 20 second rule etc
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Don't use the gel or wipes and haven't had so much as a cold this year......

I wipe my desk in work with baby wipes at lunch time, but that's about it But it's only before I eat and we deal with paperwork from many different people who I don't know.

My bag doesn't contain hand gel or wipes either.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't use either and never have.

I wash my hands after going to the loo, after dealing with the poultry etc.

I very rarely get colds/flu etc.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Can't remember when I last had a cold or flu and I never ever use hand gel or wipes.
Good basic hygiene should be good enough.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »