Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Pedigree/papers

ok well i cant keep this quiet any longer... were getting another puppy!

Saying nothing about the breed yet, (someone on here already knows but shhh!! lol)

anyhow since millie has been improving so much, thanks to colins advice - thank you, i am now ready to get another puppy, i had found one the other day and went to go look on me thinking it was papered etc - but its wasnt,, anyhow,

to get a puppy kc registered, should the parents have full papers and be KC registered themselves or what?? what do i ask the breeders??? the most i got so far, have the parents been health tested etc - - well i got the most importaing thing right?!!!

its been so long since we last bought a pedigree i cant remember

thanks
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Both parents have to be KC registered and the breeder has to register the litter in order to get KC registration. However, it depends what you want pup for as if they aren't on the breed register they can always go on the activities register.
I personally wouldn't buy a non-KC reg pup but if I did I would most definately make sure the pups parents had all the relevant health checks carried out.
Becky
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 01:48 PM
has to be on a full register

millie is on the activity register,, i want to be able to do eveyrthing - showing if i wanted and i cant with a dog on the activity register...

so the whole litter shoudl be KC registered..
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Dont most reputable breeders have waiting lists for puppies, I would be wary of a litter already here with pups available, so you may have to wait awhile for a good pup.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 03:08 PM
oh yes, definately prepared to wait, ive already emailed someone who has a wate

i got an email off someone today )i know what you just said but...) who said they have pups available and would i like to go see them but they again were not registered etc - also had people emailing me with x breeds,, hmmmm !

on an off topic note - just found my elders papers - and they are registered with the international sheepdog association love roooting!!!haha
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-01-2008, 03:30 PM
So when do we get to find out what breed it is?

I would suggest that if you are looking to show it etc, then you should stick to a reputable breeder, as you will get more reassurance. I would also recommend that you don't look at puppies from a non-reputable breeder, as you may find one that you really like and end up getting it, and not being able to do the things you like.

For me, I am not too worried about the papers etc, as the dogs I generally like aren't show'ers, it'd be nice to hae the papers etc, but at the end of the day, my doggies are agility dogs, and maybe even sheepdogs eventually Good luck in your hunting, and I look forward to seeing puppy pics when you get it
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 03:37 PM
thank you

millies a cross, so i registered her on the activity register to be able to compete

im not massivey into showing but if i wanted toi have a go the opportunity would be there witha full pedigree dog

if nick didnt have his fatty lumps (he has them all over his chest! ,, i would have shown him - never got placed but just for the experience

eta.. as for the breed... wait and see.. !!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
You are looking for a BC in your area aren't you or one that the breeder will deliver or ship to you ?

I know where their is a super puppy available but the breeder will not deliver or ship they insist as all good breeders do that they meet the prospective new owners so that they can see if they would be suitable to have their precious babes
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 04:22 PM
with regards to health testing it depends on the breed of dog to be honest as each has its own problems. Come on give us a clue
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Whatever breed you are looking for, go to the Breed Club and ask them all the relevant things to look for, health testing, results, proof (you'd be surprised at the amount of puppy farmers who KC register their dogs and show dodgy health test papers !!!) and ask for everything you need to ask for, including the age of the bitch when first bred, how many litters she's had etc, how often they breed, WHY they breed etc.

Many PFs advertise themselves as reputable, so it's often difficult to tell.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >