Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillyann
New Member!
Female 

13-12-2009, 08:48 PM

Sudden paralysis

Hello again everyone, haven't been for a visit for months and now they think I am a newbie. I lost my youngest collie Holly, three weeks ago her hind legs went and within 24 hours her forelegs also. She would have been 14 on Christmas eve, the vets suspect maybe a tumour inthe neck was pressing on the spinal cord but nothing showed up on the xray. Her half sister Meg has been undergoing treatment for a possible brain tumour which seems to us like a genetic thing which should have shown up years ago. Holly was very bright and active no sign of anything but a digestive problem which you ladies helped me with earlier this year, Nature diet and Kronch Salmon oil. Any ideas anyone? . It wasn't the kind of paralysis where you are numb she just could not co-ordibate herself and struggled to get up in vain. There was no pain either it was horrendous to see and we are broken hearted especially with Meg being so ill as well, any ideas anyone? Tilly
Beanz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2009, 09:59 PM
So very sorry to hear your sad news.

Our thoughts go out to you.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:40 PM
So sorry, Tillyann, to hear your very sad news. xxx
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 03:16 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

Not having seen what your dog was doing, its hard to guess, but if you say she could move her legs and stuggled to get up, then it isn't really paralysis. My first instict when you said that was old dog vestibular syndrome, which is brain condition that effects balance and coordination, essentially, extreme vertigo.

That said, a tumor on her spinal cord likely wouldn't show up on xrays. Usually you need a meylogram to diagnose spinal cord tumors or defects. If your girls sister has a brain tumor, that would lead me to suspect your girl could have had a tumor, as some brain tumors and spinal cord tumors are related.
Tillyann
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Thank you Mutzrule, I realise it was not paralysis vet offered a scan which meant travel and further stress, not to mention cost of at least £1.000 which I could have found if it was to be of any good. Whatever it was it affected her mobility and was neural. We have experience of Vestibular syndrome and it was not that. I used the term paralysis loosely, I should have said loss of co-ordination or propriocentation she wanted to get up but just could not get the motor signal to her limbs. Before she actually lost the use she walked strangely, high stepping which the vet saw and said was neural. Her eyes were as normal unlike in vestibular syndrome. Sorry about long post, need to get this down properly. Thanx again everyone, Tilly
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:10 PM
So sorry for your loss, sleep tight holly x