Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2007, 02:21 PM

The best way to walk two dogs?

Now that Charlie can finally go out (yipee) what is the best way to go about it.

Obviously she is very young still and won't be going as far as Molly so for now I am content to take them both together on sep leads and OH takes Charlie home and I carry on. (or I take them one at a time when it is only me)

I have seen the double attachment that clips on to a lead, does anyone use this, and is it best used with a collar or a harness?

Bearing in mind that Charlie (lab) is likely to get a fair bit bigger than Molly (ESS) do the dogs have to be the same size for it to work properly?

Molly walks very well to heel (most of the time) so is walking them on the double likely to encourage Charlie to do the same or should I just go with 2 leads for now?

Sorry when I started this I didn't quite realise it would turn into a big list of questions but am grateful for any advice!
Thanks
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Personally I'd keep them on two leads for now till the youngster is fully trained. I have used the double clip in the past when going into a show with mine when I've had loads to carry as well but unlessthey walk well together it can cause problems like two attached dogs trying to go in opposite directions. Mind this is only personal experience & I didn't alwaysuse it so it may be different if they are trained to it from the start.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 03:10 PM
I have 2 leads. I must admit there are times when I would like one of the double attachments but some of the reasons I haven't:-
(1) Hoki still pulls quite a bit & I wouldn't want her dragging Kip with her! (as they're hardly on the lead, I have been remiss at training her out of this)

(2) although they don't often squabble these days and have never done so on a walk, I would be worried that I wouldn't be able to seperate them quickly if I needed to for any reason.

(3) I think it would be more of a faff getting them both back on the lead with the double attachment.

There are no doubt times when a double attachment could prove useful, but overall for me, 2 leads are best - after all, you can still hold them in one hand if you want.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I always walk mines separate so I can concentrate on them on an individual basis.Once they are trained they have separate leads.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 08:06 PM
I use separate leads too. I got an attachment but I couldn't seem to get on with it as one dog tends to lag behind and the other surge forward. It's good if they both walk at the same pace but that didn't seem to happen very often! So it's just me who gets pulled in half now!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I alway use a coupling lead (two into one) but then again mine are the same size as each other.

As yours are a different size and age I would suggest that you keep them on seperate for a while until they are both trained etc.
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 08:27 PM
For my two (both labs) now that they are both grown, I put them on 3 meter leads on a waist belt.
They can pull me up hill quite well like that.
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all your replies folks-tbh I think that the 2 lead suggestion is probably the way forward at the moment but watch this space
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Tried most versions and prefer separate leads but as your little one grows give all options a try and see what is best for you.
britishbandit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2007, 05:28 PM
I made a "belt" for walking both of mine at once. LOL It has two rings sewn in, one on either side, and "leashes" that have clips on both ends. Different lengths because Tysa is shorter. I don't have to hold the leashes which is great!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >