Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah0126
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-07-2011, 01:30 PM

Flea's

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to post something flea related so close to another but it hasnt really answered my question.

My yellow labrador has fleas I took her to the vets last night and she gave me some frontline combo pipettes, Ive hovered the carpet, skirting boards, put dog beds on 90 degree hot washes the lot.

So i treated her as soon as I got back last night and left her outside for an hour like the vet told me to let the treatment work in to her coat. Ive looked today and there are still a few fleas knocking around.

Should I treat her again? Get a flea shampoo? whats the form?

Thanks

Sarah
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 02:08 PM
If you have more than one dog I think you should treat them all. There are also sprays you can get to treat the indoor areas where fleas might hide and I think the treatment should last six months.
Did your vet also suggest worming your dog? If not, I think I would worm as well.
I usually use the spray on my dogs for fleas, rather than the dot on stuff and it may take a day or two for the medication kill the little blighters.
You could use a flea shampoo and bath your lab. which is good, but I think you then might have to start over again with the Frontline.
I hope you get rid of the pests soon.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 02:23 PM
If I remember rightly, i think it says on the packet it takes up to 24hrs to kill them hope you get rid of your visitors soon
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Of course, they could be cat or hedgehog fleas? Cat fleas live for years in a carpet.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Of course, they could be cat or hedgehog fleas? Cat fleas live for years in a carpet.
really? i thougt fleas were fleas. eeww im itching now
sarah0126
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-07-2011, 03:36 PM
ive just been out and got all the carpet cleaning stuff and flea shampoo, thanks for the advice everyone.

Im going to give it until monday to see if the fronline has worked if not i will get the shampoo on the go.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 05:25 PM
There is a artical in Your Dog this month, saying you should put a flea collar in your hoover to help kill flea/eggs, then discard bag ASAP after useage.

You could get hold of strong flea stuff for furnishing and carpets from the vet.

Fleas are such b*****s!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 06:34 PM
If you bathe your dog within 48 hours of Frontline then you'll have to re-apply. It's still effective after washing but not as effective. "Acclaim" household flea spray is very good It will treat the whole house and lasts 12 months. In fact it treats my whole house and I still have some left over. They sell it in Pets At Home and the vets. The added bonus for me is it kills spiders too!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by sarah0126 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to post something flea related so close to another but it hasnt really answered my question.

My yellow labrador has fleas I took her to the vets last night and she gave me some frontline combo pipettes, Ive hovered the carpet, skirting boards, put dog beds on 90 degree hot washes the lot.

So i treated her as soon as I got back last night and left her outside for an hour like the vet told me to let the treatment work in to her coat. Ive looked today and there are still a few fleas knocking around.

Should I treat her again? Get a flea shampoo? whats the form?

Thanks

Sarah

You cannot just treat animals as fleas lay their eggs in the carpets etc and thus the cycle never ends.

You must treat the dogs but also spray the entire house and car with either Acclaim or Indorex.

these sprays are excellent and although expensive really do the trick and also deal with dust mites which are a common cause of skin problems in dogs.

I spray my house and car every six months.