Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Help! Dog, Baby and very small car!

So not long now and we will have an extra little person to fit in my tiny ford KA! Trying to work out how we can fit Toby, baby and pushchair in safely!

At the moment the plan is to put the babyseat in the front (no airbag) and leave Toby on the backseat where he usually goes. I can just squeeze a buggy in the boot if I take the parcel shelf off.

Our other option would be to swap the KA for someting a tiny bit bigger, but then if there is an airbag in the front Toby and Baby would have to share the backseat, and I can't see that being successful!

So just wondering what small cars people have and how they've managed the baby/dog combination? Its got to be small, cheap, economical, 5door....
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Normally if you do get one with an airbag at the front you can switch it off. I have that on my scenic. I don't know how I can help you, but I'd recommend a slightly bigger car, would be easier for you all, I know the KA is tiny!
tipsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2012, 11:25 AM
I had a ford KA when I had my first daughter and it worked out ok... I did what you were planning, baby in the front, dog on back seat buggy in boot... which works as long as you don't do too much shopping ha ha!

We swopped the Ka for a renault scenic when baba changed to a forward facing seat, as no longer felt safe having her in the front when looking forwards... and we alos had baby number 2 on the way lol!

The renault scenic is an estate, so Poppy fits in the boot and kids fit on the back seat... only problem is there isn't much room on the front passenger seat for the buggy!

Think a transit van is the way forwards

Also, my Ka was a 1.3 petrol and the scenic is a 1.6 petrol and costs alot more to run than my ka (i'm sure she use to run on fresh air) so in hindsight i would have got a 1.4 or diesel when we upgraded

xxx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I would definitely swop it for something with more room and a larger boot, much less hassle.

What about something like a Fiesta or a Golf?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Why wouldn't sharing the back seat be successful?

How big is your buggy? If it were me, I would go for a bigger car. I had an estate when Sam was tiny and I fit a smallish dog cage in the boot, with the buggy.

Helen
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 11:31 AM
You could use a crate, or for something less bulky/heavy, a Pet Tube
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/dog-bag/dog...s-pet-tube.php
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 11:37 AM
My boys are grown up now, but up until recently I drove very small cars with two dogs and the need of an extra seat for taking my elderly Mum out. I had a Toyota Aygo (the airbag coukld be turned off by the switch in the glove box) and my OH removed the back bench seat so that I could put a large crate in.
I have now changed to a Toyota Jazz (you can pick up an older one very cheaply and the Jap engines are extremely reliable!!). They are cheap to run and do great mpg. (more than my Toyota or previous Smart Car) There is also shed loads of room in the them. I permanently have a massive crate in, 3 seats available and a huge boot.
Good luck on your new arrival - how excited you must be
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 11:40 AM
A dog seatbelt and baby in the back, would that not work? When I just had my GSD and a small car she used to go on the back seat with my son.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 11:55 AM
A VW Golf or Polo would be perfect. Not too big, good sized boot (dog can go in the boot behind a guard, baby in the back), very study and reliable, not expensive to run.

A friend of mine has a Toyota Aygo which is VERY economical to run (in fuel, tax, etc.).

The small Citroen hatchbacks are also economical and don't cost the earth.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Polo or new style fiesta. Don't break down every other day, and are v cheap to run.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >