Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Speirsy
New Member!
Female 

08-09-2010, 09:06 PM

Beagle advice !!

Hi
I have a boxer dog and just got a beagle that is under 2 years old. He seems very strong-willed and a little arrogant and will not respond when called. I have not dared to let him off the lead and he happily runs on an extendable lead. My boxer is brilliant off lead and comes back as soon as you call him so maybe this will encourage my beagle to behave but not holding my breath !! Any advice on how to train him would be very much appreciated
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-09-2010, 07:15 AM
I looked into the beagle before i got my springer and exactly the reason why you are having problems is the reason why i decided against, when you investigated the breed you must have been aware of the fact beagles are very difficult to train recall wise, i was told the majority if on a scent will ignore any attempt to recall.
I am sure some experienced beagle owners on here will offer you advice but it appears to be a trait of the breed.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 12:27 PM
That sounds like a perfectly normal Beagle to me. However, it is possible to train them - find out what they really love and use that - with hard work and persistence.
I have a Hound cross and don`t let him off where there`s game about. Once they get on a scent it`s almost impossible to halt them, which is what they`ve been bred for.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 01:01 PM
I've had a Beagle only the one though

They are very scent driven as you would expect from a scent hound. They can be trained but all his life our boy would revert to nature and follow a scent. He lived to 16 bless him and was very clever if it suited him to be also a terrible thief.

Funnily enough I had Boxers too