View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:04 PM

My amazing rescue effort on this morning's walk!

On this morning's walk I decided it would be nice for Eddy to go off the lead. Afterall, there were no other dogs around and he wouldn't run off as there's nowhere to run off to.

As I unclipped his lead and walked off saying to myself 'there, there's no reason for him to be on a lead when he could be having a trot around', I turned to see his bum disappearing down a very steep hillside.

I ran over just in time to see him tumbling, desperately trying to move his legs fast enough and eventually rolling over to land on his back at the bottom of the hillside. (I must add that Edward is 15 years old and has dementia)

I shouted to him to check he was ok and he got up and attempted to climb the hill. Takara ran down to show him the easiest way but the old boy kept slipping back down. Eventually he got part way up with lots of encouragement but then got stuck and began to slip.

Soon his back feet were under his chin and he couldn't move.

Now here I am, alone, disabled and not entirely sure there's a lot I can do...

I shuffled down on my bum part way down the hill but realised that if I moved again I'd slip and send us both down to the bottom in a heap... so I grabbed the double ended training lead that was over my shoulder and clipped it around the tree leaving ample lead for me to lower myself down on.

I lowered myself down hanging onto the lead and when I reached Eddy I grabbed his harness before pulling him up a few inches, I then clipped the other end of the training lead (the end I had hold of) to his harness before pulling us both back up on the lead to the tree.

At this point, Eddy got up and ran off leaving me to figure my way back up (on my bum) to the top of the hill.

Thank goodness for waterproof trousers and double ended training leads!

So here is a plea... don't underestimate your senile dog! He hadn't even followed Takara as she was still on the top path, he just decided to relive his youth I think!

I am so glad nobody saw me!!
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
omg I was on pins reading that. thank god your both ok. there is always a risk when out walking to find the most secluded place where you know there wont be anyone there to bother you or the dogs, glad you where able to rescue your dog and yourself
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
That sounds a frightening experience for you both. Glad it had a happy ending for both of you!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys.

To be honest the most frightening part was getting the lead clipped around the tree fast enough for me to 'abseil' to him! I was so worried he would slip whilst I was getting to him and then he would've really hurt himself. The only way I could've reached him was how I did, if he'd slipped back down to the bottom, the dog lead wouldn't have been long enough and I'd have been really stuck!

Looking back I can see the funny side but so scary at the time! (And embarassing when I had to haul myself back up!)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Well done on your gallant rescue. I agree about not underestimating the Oldies - we took a 15 yo Oldie out to a little spot by a lake once - then heard a splosh - and he was happily swimming round, peering at the ducks. We kept a line on him after that.
Hope you and the intrepid explorer are no worse for wear.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 05:17 PM
LOL don't they love to scare us!

He's fine thanks - grumbling at the moment but I think it's an empty tummy grumble!

I, on the other hand am a little sore!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 01:15 PM
oh that sounds so scary!