Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2005, 09:51 PM

early whelping in westies

my westie is on day 50 today and ive been reading the book of the bitch from cover to cover in prepartion for the big day, the book states that westies are "early whelpers" as any one got any ideas on what is classed as early? i know that "normal pregnancy" can last any where from 57 -65 days , i just wondered if anyone can help
thanks
julie
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-05-2005, 09:55 PM
It would be very unusual for any female to whelp earlier than the times mentioned in your post, I would say the earliest you could expect would be 60 days, sometimes reading to much can make you more nervous, hope that helps MM.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Sorry Millies Mum have never whelped a Westie, but each dog is different even within a breed so it is just a matter of watching Millie for 'the signs' of starting which you will know about from the book

Edited to say..early could just mean one or two days early
snazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2005, 01:29 PM
My current litter was born day 59, going from the first mating and the bitch was huge, skin streched as tight as a drum. This is a litter of miniature schnauzers.

If you are worried ask the vet/vet nurse to show you how to take your bitches temperature.

It would also be a good idea to start getting her to sleep in the whelping box/area so she is comfortable to be there before the birth.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 01:49 PM
stop wishing they will come early ....we all do it !!!!!!!!
leilah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2005, 12:03 AM
my bitch recently whelped 5 weeks ago, and my vet said that the pups are viable from day 53 onwards, i'm not sure if its the same with westies but good luck anyway.