Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 07:39 PM

Cages

Anyone got a opinion on cages for dogs. Someone I met in the week keeps there Staff in a cage fro about 7-8 hours a day I think this is excessive. Any opinions?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 07:45 PM
I am not a fan of cages - I got a dog to enjoy in my house and I dont feel its necessary to cage them. Especially a staff - they are so sociable and love to be around people that to even be alone for 8 hours i quite a lot without having to be in a cage too... To be honest if it spends 7-8 hrs in a cage per day - how is this different to being in rescue kennels ? I understand people who perhaps do it at night or have them to one room, but to be locked up -just dotn think its fair - however I feel the same way about birds in cages - just dont think its right - dont like to see things behind bars !!

Bruno would actually go mad in a cage - he loves to be around people and isnt in any way destructive so no need to even keep him to one room - he does tend to stay in the same place if sleeping - but at least he has the choice to do that...

dani
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Olive loves her cage. I put Olive in her cage a maximum of 2 hours, about once a week maximum. That being said she sleeps in her cage every night with the door open and never wants to get out in the morning. Her cage has a double duvet in it and is covered, if I could I'd be in there with her . I think 7-8 hours is excessive.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Totaly agree Dani. Would like to hear other views too.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 07:54 PM
I think overnight is fine, and if you have to nip out for an hour or so in the day is fine too.
Although, admittedly, Teagan had to be left in her cage for about 6/7 hours when she was a pup once. She was destructive out of the cage (I wasn't bothered about my room, but about her safety), and I had a hospital appointment. Mum was taking me, so there was no one to check on her.

She was fine, slept and played with toys, and didn't mess.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 07:55 PM
mine love the cage all four bundle in a cuddle up ...big dogbed next to it but they never use it......... I only ever put the puppy in when i am out (never more than 2hrs) as her and Pippa can fight sometimes over toys
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 07:57 PM
TJ has a crate which he loves he sleeps in there during the day, and if i need to pop out door is closed for no more than 2 hours , he is only a pup though!

Scrumps has full run of the house all the time, if we are there or not, but also sleeps in the crate with TJ
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2005, 08:00 PM
I have a crate for Finn. He does sleep in it at night (most of the time) and if I have to leave Star and Finn alone while I go out, he gets shut in just incase their games get out of hand. It is no longer than 1 to 2 hours. It is his little den and a place where he can sleep without any interruptions from the kids.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 08:00 PM
have to agree with dani, i hate to see dogs in cages. I wouldnt like to be locked up in a cage for an hr so why should my dog.
I dont think any dog should be left in a cage for longer than an hr, i think this piece of equipment is abused somewhat
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2005, 08:03 PM
i was thinking about getting one for the kids as well
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >