Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-10-2006, 05:21 PM

No Retrieve

I've had quite a few dogs over many years, all Collies, various types, sizes, ages, both sexes. Each one has been very responsive and very well trained in obedience and agility etc. BUT none of them, including the present one, has ever been willing to take anything in its mouth except to eat. No interest in inanimate objects of any kind, won't pick up or chase anything, let alone retrieve. Its as if their focus is on me alone, and no ball or stick or toy or whatever can break that concentration.
I did wonder at one time if I was perhaps over-dominant to the point where the dogs would not let their attention move away from me but I don't really think that's the case. In fact I'm actually quite gentle in the way I train.
However, there's obviously something missing in my technique and I don't know what it could be. I've tried all sorts of things but without success. Any new ideas please ?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Paul are you saying none of the dogs has ever played with any toys at all right from puppyhood ?

I've only ever had working bred BC's,even my GSDs were from lines that work & I've never had a problem getting them to play with toys & eventually d a formal retrieve of some sort

I start when they are puppies(with the exception of my adult rescues)playing with a tuggy that they can chew on & play gentle tuggy games with & I never throw a toy unless it is returned into my hand when they do return it to me

With my adult rescues I used a trick shown to me a long time ago

Using a "fun"fur covered toy with a tail or string attached filled I think with catnip or similar & a paper bag

Making a big show out looking in the bag & crinkling it & talking silly to yourself things like"Hm oooo what have we here its mine all mine etc"whilst sitting on the floor, when the dog shows interest keep turning away from the dog so that they cannot see what you are doing, but obviously can hear you. When the dog is actively trying to see what you have, you start to pull the toy bit by bit out of the bag Pulling it out then dropping it back into the bag. Evebtually when you have the whole toy out of the bag gently tease the dog with the toy & it the dog reaches towards it make sure that he/she can reach it & play gentle tuggy & allow the dog to win & swop the toy for a treat & give the retrieve command of your choice when he/she does so

You then have a dog that plays withtoys!
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-10-2006, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=JoedeeUK;792915]Paul are you saying none of the dogs has ever played with any toys at all right from puppyhood ?

Its been the same with pups or rescue. The present one is a rescue dog age 4 that I've had for a year, but like the others won't take anything in its mouth other than food, and its not particularly food orientated either although it eats well. It must be me but I don't know why.
Your method sounds fun, I'll give it a try.