Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:08 AM

How expensive is your vets?

I'm thinking that mine is expensive, for others its £120 to spay a dog, for me it cost £120 to neuter my rabbit, who at his heaviest weighs 2.5kg, to spay a dog Honeys size I have been told it costs just over the £200 mark, but people pay it, and even things like front line, and rabbit products I'm surprised at aswell, this vets I don't use anymore, apart from when they offer free things, like dental checks, and Rabbit Awareness Week, but how much does it cost around your way to have your vets do things?

Here is Drews bill, showing how much it cost, I did clear paying the £80 first, as the day before he was due I had a red letter, and I didn't wanna cancel his appoitment, so I rang up and saw what I could do, but beings as they ended up nearly killing Drew, they can't really complain!! As you can see, to neuter a small English Rabbit came up to £122.44, I also have a bill to neuter a Chinchilla, which I know can pose risks, but the end result wasn't much cheaper.

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2011, 09:17 AM
I was quite surprised to read on another thread that most said a spay was around the £120 mark, when Rio was spayed 4 years ago it was over £200. I'm happy with my vets though, they are thorough and always have ample time to discuss and explain everything. I'd rather that than pay the cheapest price going and be back out the door with unanswered questions and no painkillers included etc.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Mya's got her pre-op check for her spay in a couple of weeks so i'll find out then how much it costs but she's about 33kgs so after reading this I presume it's gonna be quite expensive.
I think Fred was £120 to get neutered and that was 4 years ago and he was 24kgs.
I wouldn't change my vets though, they were absolutely fantasic with our last dog when she broke her leg.
Tracy x
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:28 AM
I'd better hold my breath when I say this (I don't want to tempt anything)--Only been for spaying and the usual vaccs.
Satisfied with service and reasonable costs.
I think the spaying was about £120 for my boxer.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:29 AM
paid £96 (INCLUDED BUSTER COLLAR) FOR LOla border terrier rang 4 vets all wanted between 150-200! she had same treatment for the £96.00
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:34 AM
crikey I think my vets might be a bit expensive eek, I will report back to this thread when I've had the cost for Mya's spay...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:35 AM
That does seem expensive for a rabbit. Especially a male! I think my local vets neuter male rabbits for around the £80 mark for everything.

My last dog that I had spayed cost me £180, which I think is reasonable for a 30kg bitch.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Well I rang up just to see how much it would cost to get Harmony spayed, just out of courisity, I got qouted around £150, I emailed a vet thats basically right near Oxford city centre, got qouted £60-80 if I remember right, its only £5.10 return, so I could drop her off on a return, and pay someone to give me a lift for so much more cheaper, even with the post op check up.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Well I rang up just to see how much it would cost to get Harmony spayed, just out of courisity, I got qouted around £150, I emailed a vet thats basically right near Oxford city centre, got qouted £60-80 if I remember right, its only £5.10 return, so I could drop her off on a return, and pay someone to give me a lift for so much more cheaper, even with the post op check up.
what weight is Harmony? Just curious now with all this
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Generally just a bit lighter then Drew! She's a rabbit aswell, but tbh as these people messed up with such a well behaved rabbit as Drew, I don't think they could cope with Harmony, I love her, but she's a bitch, infact its easier to catch a wild rabbit in the same size space then it is Harmony, and she growls more then any dog I've owned, plus the vets aren't exactly rabbit savvy, so much that whenever poss I talk to the person who breed my rabbit who died before I go to the vets, she knows so much more then the vets, and by repeating what I've learnt from her when I did go there the rabbits had a better chance of getting what they needed!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >