Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Arthritis studies, "patients" wanted

Just received this in an email and thought it may be of some use to you guys.
Also i have received a poster in PDF format if any of you wish to distribute it :0

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a vet and arthritis researcher at the University of Liverpool.

Please forgive the “cold-call” nature of this email, but I was hoping that you might be able to help me.

I am based at the Small Animal Teaching Hospital on the Wirral. We are currently conducting a study of treatments for arthritis in dogs.

At least 20% of dogs over the age of one are affected by osteoarthritis – a degenerative disease that leads to loss of function, inflammation and pain of the joints. We know from humans that have this disease that it has a huge and negative impact on quality of life. In relatively athletic animals like dogs, that get a lot of their pleasure from physical activity, the effects are likely to be much larger.

Add to this that signs can be difficult to spot (60% of the dogs I have seen with arthritis over the last year have not had previous treatment, despite significant loss of mobility), and it is easy to see why we consider arthritis to be a welfare concern.

The study we are conducting is a comparison trial of two licensed treatments. We do not use a placebo, and there is no “novel” or “experimental” drug. We are simply trying to gather information on how best to treat and assess this condition in dogs.

We need canine volunteers who are over the age of one, over 10kg in weight, and whose owners believe might be suffering with arthritis. Signs to look out for include limping, reluctance on walks and stiffness after rest.

Owners who might be interested in involving their dog should contact me at ben.walton@liv.ac.uk, or on 0151 795 6239.

I am very grateful for any assistance you can offer in raising public awareness of this study.

Yours sincerely,

Ben Walton
BVSc CertSAS MRCVS

Canine Orthopaedic Clinical Research Assistant
Small Animal Teaching Hospital
University of Liverpool

0151 795 6239
07807 106737

www.liv.ac.uk/dog-arthritis
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:45 PM
just bumping for everyone to see :0
hope thats not against rules, sorry if it is!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 08:48 AM
My friend took part in this study with her Akita, she raves about it, highly recommended. This is the hospital Zeke had his sucessful 6 month chemo treatment too, they're fantastic, and Ben is lovely so I hear
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Please note this is only for people within reach of Liverpool.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Also, you are allowed to be with your dog the whole time throughout! (That's was my friend's concern, her bitch can be funny with people).