Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2012, 02:31 PM

Bringing a rescue home?

Some of you may have read that I'm bringing my first dog, Rogan, home from the Dogs Trust on Saturday and I'm a bundle of excited nerves!

I think I've got everything I'll need for him, or it's on it's way in the post, and I've mostly worked out where he'll sleep/eat, but I want to make sure he settles in as best he can.

My main issue lies with my 2 cats (6 and 2 years old) who have never lived with or particularly encountered dogs before, and so their meetings are of major importance if Rogan is going to become part of the family. Ro was 'cat-tested' at the centre with their calm, placid, laid-back stunt cat and he was curious and snuffly, but showed no aggression or intent towards the moggy. However, my boys are friendly enough but not quite so comatose...

Has anyone got any tips or advice to make the first week or so more relaxed and not so fraught, or is it more of a 'suck it and see' type affair? I'm not usually so unsure of myself, but I just want this to go well!
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2012, 02:46 PM
When introducing mine as babies (dog was 6 months, cat was 8 weeks) Zulu really only showed proper interest when Mollie moved and ran - he likes to chase...

Make sure the cats have plenty of hidey holes and I would fit some stair gates so they can run out of the room but the dog can't.

If you can introduce them over a few days, its going to be exciting enough for Rogan as it is! If you can pop the kitties in a carry box so they can sniff each other but neither get hurt - the cats will probably hiss, but its better for the dog to have respect for the cat IMO because they can do much more harm. Gradually try and introduce them for longer periods of time and out of the box - get the cats on your lap on Rogan on lead, get him to sit or lie down so the cats arent threatened and see if they will have a look or sniff with him. If you are worried or he shows signs of being funny then pop a muzzle on Rogan just in case. Give him lots of praise for ignoring the cats - he is going to be interested, but its just one of those things that may take some time and alot of patience!
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Zuluandnaomi View Post
When introducing mine as babies (dog was 6 months, cat was 8 weeks) Zulu really only showed proper interest when Mollie moved and ran - he likes to chase...

Make sure the cats have plenty of hidey holes and I would fit some stair gates so they can run out of the room but the dog can't.

If you can introduce them over a few days, its going to be exciting enough for Rogan as it is! If you can pop the kitties in a carry box so they can sniff each other but neither get hurt - the cats will probably hiss, but its better for the dog to have respect for the cat IMO because they can do much more harm. Gradually try and introduce them for longer periods of time and out of the box - get the cats on your lap on Rogan on lead, get him to sit or lie down so the cats arent threatened and see if they will have a look or sniff with him. If you are worried or he shows signs of being funny then pop a muzzle on Rogan just in case. Give him lots of praise for ignoring the cats - he is going to be interested, but its just one of those things that may take some time and alot of patience!
Thanks! Rogan is about 8 months old, so hopefully he should come round to the cats quickly enough. I've cat carriers in the garage I can dig out, and I need to measure the dining room door for a gate, so it can be a dog-free room! I think it's going to be a lot of door-juggling to make sure the cats can't get cornered or end up in awkward situations.

I usually go for Sunday lunch at my fiance's family's house and they're looking forward to meeting him with their BC, Ben, but I'm not sure if that'd be too much, too soon...
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Normally its not the dogs that are the problem its the cats lol! But as cats do they will just sort themselves out and do as they wish!

Yep, lots of room and door juggling - a totally dog free room is a good idea for them and lots of time and patience. The most important thing really is that you stay calm and encourage Rogan to be. Before you bring him home try and tire him out a bit so he isnt toooo massively over excited! I would see how he gets on, if its looking like a bit too much then rather don't, but if he's up for it I dont think theres any harm with it, he's probably going to sleep like a log for the first few days!
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Zuluandnaomi View Post
Normally its not the dogs that are the problem its the cats lol! But as cats do they will just sort themselves out and do as they wish!

Yep, lots of room and door juggling - a totally dog free room is a good idea for them and lots of time and patience. The most important thing really is that you stay calm and encourage Rogan to be. Before you bring him home try and tire him out a bit so he isnt toooo massively over excited! I would see how he gets on, if its looking like a bit too much then rather don't, but if he's up for it I dont think theres any harm with it, he's probably going to sleep like a log for the first few days!
Ahh, wish I could take him on a big long walk first, but the DT is an hours car ride away which could be...interesting. I'm bringing a water bottle, spare lead, doggy towels and possibly chews as well to keep him busy. Maybe a trot around the block to stretch his legs after, before we go inside?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Cats I have no experience of. Rescue dogs I have.
What I do is... nothing. I leave the dog alone.
I leave the back door open, keep the house quiet and ignore the dog except to feed and clean up after.
This for a day or two until the dog has his bearings and is seeking a response from me.
Please don`t do the `start as you mean to go on` thing and begin laying down rules for the dog which he can`t know or understand. Train your dog to behave in the way you want when he knows you mean him no harm.
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah thats probably a good idea to take those things, dont be too offended if he isnt interested as he's going to be so excited to be out!
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Well done for taking a Rescue dog
and for coming on here to ask for advice before you bring your dog home
-wish every new owner would think as carefully before adopting a dog

Some excellent advice from Zuluandnaomi that I cant really add anything to
-we had a similar situation in reverse

We adopted 2 puppies,in 1997 from the Rescue I worked for,then 10 weeks later we adopted 2 kittens!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was hectic at first -well MORE than hectic but gradually they became a little family

I would just give them time to adapt to each other
We introduced a new kitten,Ollie, to them all 7 yrs ago
lots of hissing and spitting at first from the cats ,nothing much from the dogs who just looked as if to say-Oh another brother!!!!

Wish you every success and hope that the introductions go well
Please post a photo for us when you have time

Maureen

(We still have our 3 cats but sadly lost Lulu,1 of our dogs last January,and our other dog has dementia.)
Suzanne2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Well done for adopting a rescue dog. It sounds like you have really thought it through and got everything ready. We adopted ours in September - what I would pass on is the advice I was given, I thought it was very wise: it was this: "you think the dog will feel grateful for being adopted, but at first it doesn't know it has been, and will feel fearful about where it has been taken and who with. Give it every reason to trust you, make it feel secure, and give the relationship time." we took the advice, and are so happy with our lovely lady. Lots of luck to you, I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 12:52 AM
I think Claires advice sounds very good.
I'm the opposite, introducing a canine to adult cats is what I have experience with.
I am partly with Claire, let them get their bearings, however having a very light house line on them might be a good idea. You want to let them pass the cats, have a sniff etc, but if the cat looks uncomfortable, gently guide the dog away. You don't want to start off with a meeting that ends with a negative for your cats, or for the dog, so it just allows you to have a little gentle guidance there if you ned it. It's also good if there is somewhere the cats can go that the dog can't. I use a clothes airer to block a space off, the cats can go through, dog can't. It gives them a bit of security which might save your dogs eyes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >