Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DavidOrtega
New Member!
Male 

06-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Effectiveness of t/d prescription diet food

Can anyone verify that the t/d Prescription Diet Dental Health food actually does decrease plaque buildup as compared to regular dog food like Iams? the t/d is twice as much, but if it works it's worth it in the long run as dental cleaning is 300.00 a pop.
thanks!
-david
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2013, 01:29 PM
If you are talking about US$ 300 for dental cleaning, then I think that you probably need to find a new vet,
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 02:14 PM
I have heard rather mixed reviews but never used it myself. It also must make a difference if you just feed it or add other elements to the diet I guess.
DavidOrtega
New Member!
Male 

06-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Well that's a less than useful response, thanks. My question was about the effectiveness of the t/d food. The dog has to be put out at the vet when plaque is significant, hence the cost.
DavidOrtega
New Member!
Male 

06-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I have heard rather mixed reviews but never used it myself. It also must make a difference if you just feed it or add other elements to the diet I guess.
Thanks! Our vet encouraged us to work towards feeding her entirely with this t/d dental food. Hopefully some others will reply on this topic to see if it's worth it.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 08:07 AM
I for one don't know what t/d food is - this is mainly a UK based forum so I'm not sure you will get the answer you want.

Please don't be offensive when people make the effort to reply!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by DavidOrtega View Post
Well that's a less than useful response, thanks. My question was about the effectiveness of the t/d food. The dog has to be put out at the vet when plaque is significant, hence the cost.
Hi my six year old had some plaque but felt she doesnt chew enough as she is on tripe,so got some dentasticks and rawhide chews.when we went back to the vet for another check up,he said well done keep it up so we must be doing something right crystalgirl
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 09:34 AM
I think Raw meaty bones do the job and are very cheap from the butchers, not sure how the food works but it makes no sense that a food helps from within to get rid of plaque? sounds like a money making scheme, although eating healthily does keep teeth healthy I don't see what difference one crunchy kibble would have against another? I would try bones first to be honest and see if the plaque gets rubbed away x
Steeleye Span
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Not a food that I'd choose to feed from a nutritional ingredients perspective but a friend of mine feeds 8 pieces of the large kibble to her dog every evening as a bedtime treat and it does seem to help clean the plaque from her dogs teeth.
In fact I've been thinking of giving my girls some of these instead of the Winalot Shapes that they want at bedtime every night!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2013, 01:58 PM
isn't it Hills t/d food? My vets sell it, I don't like it at all. Woudln't feed it, many other ways of cleaning a dogs teeth!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >