Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 03:07 PM

Im Going To Kill Esmarelda! Help!!!

I need some help before i kill Esmarelda

She has a really nice big cage with TWO wheels, a tube thing going outside the cage, nice bed and bedding, things to chew on, lots of food (hamster stuff and fruit/veg everyday) and she's still not happy. Every night after she's been out in her ball for half an hour, she goes back in her cage and immediately starts chewing the bars on the cage door. She is driving me nuts. She scrapes her teeth on the metal and it makes the most unpleasant noise. Im going to kill her!

Why is she doing it?! She used to do it in the cage i got with her and was told it might be cos the cage was too small so i spent a lot of money on a beautiful new cage for her and she's still not happy!!!

WHY?!
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't know why they do it One of mine used to all the time. Maybe they just like it!
Sorry I don't know what to suggest except for a new cage that doesn't have bars!
You could always sell the one you have now so it wouldn't be a complete waste of money.

I hope you sort something out before Esmarelda gets stamped on from a great height
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica
I need some help before i kill Esmarelda

She has a really nice big cage with TWO wheels, a tube thing going outside the cage, nice bed and bedding, things to chew on, lots of food (hamster stuff and fruit/veg everyday) and she's still not happy. Every night after she's been out in her ball for half an hour, she goes back in her cage and immediately starts chewing the bars on the cage door. She is driving me nuts. She scrapes her teeth on the metal and it makes the most unpleasant noise. Im going to kill her!

Why is she doing it?! She used to do it in the cage i got with her and was told it might be cos the cage was too small so i spent a lot of money on a beautiful new cage for her and she's still not happy!!!

WHY?!

Our hamster, Twinkle is exactly the same, hence why she is in the kitchen She has a bald spot on her nose where she sticks her nose through and chews the bars I think as they get older they settle down and don't seem to do this as much I leave ours in the ball for up to an hour and she still doesn't want to get out of it when I try to get her back in the cage, she loves it. She has just been out now for 1/2hr in her ball

Another reason she might be doing it is to keep her teeth trimmed because hamsters have teeth that continue growing and they need to stop them getting too long - hence them chewing and gnawing things. Do you give her carrots cos mine loves carrot? Also I have a silver birch piece in the cage for her to gnaw on - although she still seems to prefer the bars
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did think of an completely plastic cage but wondered if she would mind being enclosed like that? They're only about £40 in pets at home which i could afford, then Satan (Russian Dwarf) could go in her cage.

Esmarelda goes in her ball for about 45 mins or so every evening then has about another half hour out with us on the sofa and stuff so i wouldn't have thought she's not getting enough time out... Maybe we're spoiling her too much though?

she gets carrots and Broccolli (loves chewing those!!) as well as fruit tree branches. All these things she chews a lot, but still finds time to drive me mad with the cage chewing I dont really have anywhere else to put her as Chloe (dog) can get into the dining room and kitchen at night and she'd eat her!! lol Tempting at the moment.... lol!!