View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mabs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Crate in the living room - training pads in the kitchen: Will this work?

Good morning everyone.

Molly's crate shall be in the living room/dining room which is good size. We've uplifted the persian rug so there are no accidents on it and have put another rug down to cover up some of the laminate flooring.

We're thinking of having the puppy training pads in the kitchen as it has a lino flooring. The door to the kitchen isn't far from the crate.
Do you think that by lifting her into the kitchen when she's looking like she's going to go, rewarding her then leading her back out would work to showing her where to go?

At the moment we are on a 4th floor flat (top floor) so once she's had her jags and is allowed out (in a month) we're hoping her bladder control will be good enough to handle the journey down outside. In the meantime we shall be using puppy pads in the flat and taking her out up to the roof terrace.

Many thanks

Michael & Cairistiona
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi there. Its going to be a little bit more difficult for you as you don't have a back door to a garden that you can move the pads gradually over to but I think you'll get there as long as you reward her every time she wees etc on the pads. My mother in law always used the words 'wee wees' when she put the pup onto the newspaper and then made a real fuss of the pup when they did it. We always used to laugh at this but when I had my next pup I ended up doing exactly the same thing. By the time the pup was allowed outside it weed or pooed on command of 'wee wees' brilliantly!! I always gave the pup a little bite size treat at the end and a lot of fuss.
Hope this helps and best of luck!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Personally I would never use puppy pads or paper on the floor indoors, I never want my dogs to associate elimination with being indoors.

However if you do not have the luxury of a balcony I would be VERY careful about LIFTING your dog, because I would want my puppy to know how to GET to the pads when required rather than being airlifted to them!

I would take her there using a lead and ask for her to eliminate on command right from the get go.
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I used pads with mine when she was a pup (we live in a flat) and they worked fine, maybe just took a bit longer to house break. She now wees on command outside.

Good luck!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Personally I would never use puppy pads or paper on the floor indoors, I never want my dogs to associate elimination with being indoors.

However if you do not have the luxury of a balcony I would be VERY careful about LIFTING your dog, because I would want my puppy to know how to GET to the pads when required rather than being airlifted to them!

I would take her there using a lead and ask for her to eliminate on command right from the get go.
I agree with this. The pup needs to walk to the pads so it will know how to get there when necessary

If you live in a flat on the 4th floor, can I ask why you are getting a border collie?
Mabs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-01-2011, 12:39 PM
In regards to a Border Collie on the 4th floor we personally don't feel it's an issue bar the toilet training side.

At the moment we are both studying with Cairistiona being in class for 6 hours a week and myself having monday/tuesday off and only in class for a bit on wed morning and thursday/friday afternoon.
With this we feel we can give Molly plenty of attention and most importantly mental stimulation. Although I haven't owned a dog before I have spent the past two weeks reading constantly trying to fill up the sponge that is my brain.
Cairistiona has experience with BC's as her parents have a giant long haired BC which lived in this flat before they moved to Shetland.
We're both extremely active doing lots of running, long walks cycling etc.

When we are on our holidays (20 weeks a year) we are up in Shetland with miles and miles of fields next to the house and although I shall be working Cairistiona won't be and I work for a very dog friendly organisation (I work in Conservation and we are allowed our dogs with us)
The home we live in in Edinburgh is a forever home and it's ours for as long as we require it.
I have wondered about the transition from Edinburgh/Shetland and back but although we are in the City it's not long to any woodland and the Pentlands so the country shouldn't be much of a shock.

Essentially why A BC? Because we love them