Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Training Classes & Vaccinations

Firstly, I apologise if this is not in the right section but it could fit into several so feel free to move it!

This question is aimed at those people on here who run training classes.

After reading the various pros and cons of vaccinations i've decided that ultimately, I would like to stop giving my dogs vaccinations (except leptospirosis). They have had their yearly vaccs all their lives so far (collies are 5, Flynn is 3.5) so I would expect their immunity to be pretty good.

However, my dogs do attend training classes so is it considered a problem if vaccinations arent kept strictly up to date at this stage in their lives? If it means they cant attend their various classes then I will have to keep their records up to date but i'm just wondering who would consider it a problem and who wouldnt? Is it something that trainers are strict about?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 07:34 PM
our club (KC Reg) insist on Vaccs (& check) for the pups, But do not check on anymore than that.

Neither did the last one i attended when i lived elsewhere.

My dogsas you know, are only Puppy Vacced & ive never had a problem
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I run dog training classes and only insist puppies have their first vaccinations before attending classes, but do recommend owners check with their own vets first.

I have spoken to many vets in the area who all agree with my stand on it
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I was going to start doing training classes with one of my whippets Amber. It was run by a friend she got me the form to book her into a course starting in january. It asked on the form the date the dog was last vaccinated.I told my friend I couldn't go with her as she had only had her puppy jabs. One of my whippets reacted badly to theirs vaccs so I only have puppy ones done. She siad that was fine as long as she had had her puppy ones.

I am now not doing the course but for other reasons.I wouldlove to be doing it with her but at the monet just don't have the time to spare to go to classes as my boss keeps changing my hours at work