Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:09 AM

Dog Killed By Other Dogs

Last night a friend I hadn't seen since for a couple of months told me that her little dog, Holly was killed in November by a neighbors 3 Lurcher type dogs. Holly was a sweet little dog, not that big, some sort of mongrel, she used to go to the park with her owner and loved playing with her ball, she was very well behaved, and a lovely little girl. My friends husband was sweeping the back lane outside their house, and Holly was playing further down the lane when this n'bour who is an aggressive guy who takes his dogs hunting appeared his dogs attacked poor Holly and ripped her apart, when my friends husband run to her and said something to the guy he was told to F off, and other nice things.Holly was still alive and was taken to the vets but had to be PTS. My friend called the police who said as it was a dog on dog incident they wouldn't get involved! Since then they have had words with this guy and he has been really abusive towards them, they are pensioners and have always had a dog, but say they will not get another one as they are too frightened it could happen again. Surely something can be done, I don't know anything about the dangerous dogs act, but I know some of you will, the thought of poor Holly losing her life like this, and my friend being too afraid to get another dog is really upsetting, I would appreciate your views on this.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:16 AM
That is so sad, please pass on my condolescence's to your friend (not that they know me).

Unfortunately time and again I hear that the police just aren't interested in trying to prosecute. I guess, trying to see it from their point of view, they have enough human related trouble to deal with, not that it makes it right.

Have your friends spoken to the local dog warden? the DW may be able to give them some help/advice.

The only other thing I could think of would be for them to take private civil action against this man...but I suspect this would be a purely financial case and as he's a frightening, aggressive so and so, I doubt that they would want to do that.

I really hope that some kind of justice is reaped against this man.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Hali, I could ask if they have spoken to the Dog warden if there is one, they live in a little village, and it must be awful having this bully walking around doing as he pleases with his out of control dogs.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:30 AM
This is so sad

Maybe they could contact the RSPCA and see what they say . Even if nothing can be done then at least the RSPCA are aware of this
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
Thanks, Hali, I could ask if they have spoken to the Dog warden if there is one, they live in a little village, and it must be awful having this bully walking around doing as he pleases with his out of control dogs.
how awful for them. pass my sympathies on.

unfortunatley this 'type' of idiot is far from unusual. we have the same in our village.

the dog warden is the best contact. they have to respond to all complaints. the local council should have their number.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I agree with Hali, the police seem unwilling to get involved unless a human is hurt. They could try the CAB but I would imagin this will be a civil case.

Personally I think this is disgusting, and my heart goes out to your friends and thier poor poor dog. It makes me shudder to think about it.

I really hope they can sort this man out.........he certainly needs to be sorted and his dogs need to be under control,as you can not blame his dogs, they are only doing what comes as instinct.

I am so very sorry for your firends, please pass on my condolences.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor Holly and her owners.

I'm not at all surprised that the police will not take any action because it was a dog to dog incident, I've heard that before when dogs have been attacked by other dogs.
I think the only reason they would have intervened is if the husband had been bitten when trying to help Holly.

Hopefully the dog warden will be able to offer them some advice.

I can understand your friends not wanting to get another dog, I don't think I'd want to either in that situation.

What a hideous man, hopefully he will get his comeuppance one day.x
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:55 AM
I too would ask citizens advice. Your friend should be able to take this stupid man to court, he should have to pay for vet costs, damages and anything else a solicitor can get out of him.

I know it wont bring back the little dog, but maybe it would stop it happening again.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh, how horrific.

That is really sad

Unfortunatly I don't know anything about Dangerous Dogs Act, but have you maybe tried researchnig it on the web?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 12:08 PM
what a horrid thing to happen, it must be heart breaking seeing your dog ripped to bits,

This is going to sound all wrong when I say it, but I will say it anyway,

have they considered a large breed dog, poss an older rescue dog, one who is calm and would fit there life style,

I have been round many an aggressive little sod with my lot, but some just seem to know there limits and dont have a go at any of mine, that said when there are three of them, running together there is a pack mentality to deal with,
but Im sure the big hard man would be less willing to see his fine skinned lurcher run at a tank, he would be worried that the vet bill would land on his door step.
{im sorry if that sounds all wrong its not ment to}

ETA: you wouldnt get away with that round our way, you would get a visit from the police, they would expect you to pay the vet bill, they would expect you to take steps to ensure it didnt happen again, I guess much depends on where you live though,.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >