Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Those with young children ...

I am interested to hear from anyone who has young children and fosters rescue dogs.

I have been doing a lot of thinking recently about helping with fostering GSDs once Ben is at school and have already volunteered to do assessing dogs and homechecks (which I used to do when I lived in Lancs for GSD and BC rescues). Hubby thinks it would be okay, so long as we bought a couple of purpose-built kennels for the dogs, as he wouldn't be comfortable with taking on older dogs, with possible problems, while we have small children in the house, which I think is fair enough.

Would love to hear others experiences (good or not so good).
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 02:15 PM
My 'littlies' are teenagers now, but when they were very young, I used to take in dogs for rehabilitation and retraining for a general rescue local to where we were living at the time.

We never had a problem, as my children are very well 'dogged', and never deviated from the 'rules' regarding foster dogs...but of course it was up to us adults to remain vigilant nonetheless, in ensuring they were never in the positon of being at risk (whcih is to the benefit of the dog as well of course!).
Its common sense really, you just have to be disciplined enough to ensure you never cut corners!

hope this helps a bit
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks Thandi. It does help and of course I would never put children or dogs at risk. I guess you just have to be totally consistent and never deviate from that routine. Thankfully my son is also very used to large and boisterous dogs, which I am sure will help