Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2013, 10:43 PM

Been a strange year for us.

Its been a tough year for us my husbands mum has been diagnosed with vascular dementia. and if thats not bad enough shes also got inoperable cancer. its more quality of life not quantity.
But as a way of keeping myself busy ect in the evenings i enter competitions. used to before but now more regular. ok im not as organized as some ppl they keep spread sheets. ive just opened up a new email acc that i dont mind getting spammed. and i have an email folder i keep my winning emails in.
well recently ive had a lucky streak. ive won a christmas turkey. huge thing. so im feeding some of my elderly neighbours. some choccy. a journal (always handy with my memory lol) some pringles. lol and then i get a call today ive won tickets to preview of walter mitty. in the haymarket theatre (london) then i get an email that ive won a MAC AIR laptop!!! last year i won a Dell lappy which i gave to charlie. but i like Macs so im keeping this 1. a brand new lappy woop.
so a swings and roundabouts year id say. but on a positive note ann (mother in law) seems perky. so thats good
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Hi Cathy you did well winning a Laptop, congratulations
Sorry to hear about your MIL
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your MIL..bless her
Wow,how well are you doing in other ways though?
Mac Air,am so jealous...Congrats to you
(( hugs))
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-12-2013, 11:41 PM
So sorry to hear about your mother in law. My mum had dementia so I know how draining it is on your family, they don't know whats happening so they are in their own world.
I had a Mac for a few weeks and hated it!!!
Well done on winning all the prizes though, I never thought people actually won to be honest.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by bens mum View Post
Its been a tough year for us my husbands mum has been diagnosed with vascular dementia. and if thats not bad enough shes also got inoperable cancer. its more quality of life not quantity.
But as a way of keeping myself busy ect in the evenings i enter competitions. used to before but now more regular. ok im not as organized as some ppl they keep spread sheets. ive just opened up a new email acc that i dont mind getting spammed. and i have an email folder i keep my winning emails in.
well recently ive had a lucky streak. ive won a christmas turkey. huge thing. so im feeding some of my elderly neighbours. some choccy. a journal (always handy with my memory lol) some pringles. lol and then i get a call today ive won tickets to preview of walter mitty. in the haymarket theatre (london) then i get an email that ive won a MAC AIR laptop!!! last year i won a Dell lappy which i gave to charlie. but i like Macs so im keeping this 1. a brand new lappy woop.
so a swings and roundabouts year id say. but on a positive note ann (mother in law) seems perky. so thats good
Probably my favourite post I've read today. You've had a rotten time but you've 'done something about it' inasmuch as you decided to go in for the comps. And well done and congrats on your wins. I'm glad you've found something to take your mind off the 'other stuff' going on. It's so easy to just 'wallow in misery' much more work required to try to drag yourself out of it.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Well done for all the wins. I'm sorry to hear about your m-i-l. My mum has vascular dementia & it robs them of everything - such an evil disease. My mum is fit so we all have to witness her deterioration while she is unaware most of the time & it could carry on for years .
Hopefully your mil will not have to endure years of the VS.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
Well done for all the wins. I'm sorry to hear about your m-i-l. My mum has vascular dementia & it robs them of everything - such an evil disease. My mum is fit so we all have to witness her deterioration while she is unaware most of the time & it could carry on for years .
Hopefully your mil will not have to endure years of the VS.
I dont think she will carry on for many years as the cancer is terminal. at the moment shes having good and bad days. its her birthday sunday. so going to take her out tomorrow for a meal.and then go and visit her on the sunday.
if shes lucky i WONT sing her happy birthday.
theres no use in getting maudlin about whats going on. just carry on and keep her life as normal as possible.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL. That is tough. Well done though for the competition entries and the wins! I keep meaning to make time for competitions.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Cathy, long time no see.
What a mixed year you have had.
Sorry to read about your MiL, I've been there. It is very, very hard I know.
Wowie, congrats on all your winnings. I would have been chuffed with the Pringles, but a Laptop, brilliant
Come back and see us soon.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-12-2013, 10:13 PM
So sorry to hear about your mother in law, very sad. Good on you for finding such a profitable coping mechanism though, and for sharing them as you are