Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Update on our garden

Having thought long and hard about what we're going to do with out little garden, taking into consideration the ideas we liked from the lovely Pat, our thoughts and my Dad's suggestions we have come up with this:

(hope you can see this OK?)

I have some questions though that I hope you can help with:
  1. What do we do with the gravel that we dig up?
  2. Once we've dug it up, what do we do to get rid of the wee (acid) smell that is in the soil (poor drainage)?
  3. Also, what shall we use as foundations for the decking? Leave some of the gravel? Or lay on mud and sand combo?
  4. When we lay the stepping stones, do we just put them onto the mud? Or sand? Or leave some of the gravel underneath to prevent sinking?

In terms of Woody weeing, we're persevering with taking him out onto the drive with the lead (just started today) but we really need to get rid of the smell in the garden now to make this successful.

We're hoping to start digging the garden up now, but we need to concentrate on a) making sure the wee smell can evaporate, but b) making sure it's not just mud out there as it'll be a nightmare having to walk him across it.

ETA: I HAVE NOT seen the Grand Prix yet and wont until this evening so no spoilers please ;o)
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 10:02 AM
I like that plan too Em! It'll be lovely getting it all done

If the gravel is fine enough, you could dig it well in the earth to assist with drainage. Otherwise save it as dressing for the top of your potted plants.
I would add in some multicompost and a little sand to your soil and that will help improve drainage - then normal watering will eventually get rid of the wee smell.

Our decking had a timber frame as its foundation and at strategic points had metal posts that went into the ground.
If you google how to make a deck, you will get sites now that give you instructions, much better than I could - cos I'm not a builder!

Our stepping stones are always laid on a bed of sand. If Paul was in I would ask him how many inches, but I have a feeling it was 2inches. I'll ask him later for you.

I did a quick Mr Google and one of the sites here tells you quite clearly how to test your soil and what to add and how to improve the drainage
http://home.clara.net/tmac/urgring/faqsoil1.htm

Looking forward to seeing the results!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Looks good

I don't know a thing about gardening - but the joy of having an entire dog....that smell! I can always tell where Gabe has marked!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
  1. What do we do with the gravel that we dig up?
  2. Once we've dug it up, what do we do to get rid of the wee (acid) smell that is in the soil (poor drainage)?
  3. Also, what shall we use as foundations for the decking? Leave some of the gravel? Or lay on mud and sand combo?
  4. When we lay the stepping stones, do we just put them onto the mud? Or sand? Or leave some of the gravel underneath to prevent sinking?
ETA: I HAVE NOT seen the Grand Prix yet and wont until this evening so no spoilers please ;o)
1 - You'll need some of it, the rest will have to go in a skip.
2 - Not sure about this, if it is the poor drainage then some of that pipe with the holes in is allegedly the thing to use to improve drainage but it has to go somewhere, water always finds the lowest level.
3 - The decking must have some foundation, please don't lay it straight on the mud and sand that will be a big problem in a year or two (maybe less) not my field but I would think some smallish concrete pillars about a foot square and two foot into the ground would be good.
4 - Same for the stones, not straight on the earth, sand mixed with some gravel and then a layer of sharp sand on top would be my suggestion, again not really my field but see what other suggest.

As for the GP well hope you get through the day without seeing the news Having had to watch the last four years on Czech TV and not understanding much of the commentary I really enjoyed it, just don't miss the last ten laps