View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Those that have used crates with pups...

Maverick is now 9 months old (wow!!) and he is put in his crate when i go out and at night.
Im starting to think about when he can possibly be trusted in the kitchen instead of his crate.
I cant remember how old ripley was when i first risked this(turned out she WASNT ready and destroyed various parts of my house!!) she ended up being crated at night until mav arrived (until she was 15months- dont really want to crate mav til he's this old)

So what age did you start to use the crate less and less? or was it a gradual thing?

My concerns are mainly that he will chew (last week he destroyed a framework on his kennel when at boarding kennels) but he was seperated from the other 2 so i think this may have been frustration as ripley was in season in the kennel next door.
Or maybe i should heed the warning he has given!!

Thoughts please!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Err - I think Siren was 6 months.

BUT - I very rarely leave my dogs. I don;t recall Siren ever destroying anything in the house, but I did have wooden framed cages in the van - and - until she was 8 months I used to spray the wood with Anti chew stuff to prevent accidents! (the one day I forgot she had a little nibble!)
She was a terror for ripping up beds though - only ones with Stuffing in.
I did not allow her to have any of these while travelling till she was about 18 months I think.

ETA - the other don;t count as they have not been crated (Tass and Zeff) and Trip I used to crate - she was about 18 months as she was a horror - but she was like that when she came to me at 11months!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 12:55 PM
One of our dogs was tested weekly untill 2 years out of his crate (either over night or for short periods if we went out). He decided that at 2 years he would be a 'proper dog'.

That doesn't help you much does it? lol

Hpw about provided a kong or chew for when you leave, or overnight to keep entertained?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Hard to say until you give it a go, isn't it?

Dex my Lab was crated until he was about 18 months. In hindsight he could have probably been de-crated sooner, maybe at 1 year, but I don't regret it because he has never chewed or destroyed anything since.

Tilly (20 months, Yorkie) is still crated overnight. Only because she tends to soil in the house overnight if she isn't confined. She isn't destructive though and never has been.

Bo (18 months, Slovak) decrated herself at 6-7 months of age. She despised the crate and no amount of associating it with good things changed her opinion of it. It was such a battle to get her in there and even if I won eventually, she would bark and howl the place down; it wasn't worth the hassle. TBH, if she hadn't made such a fuss over the crate, she would still be crated now because she is a VERY destructive dog. Not with furniture (touch wood) but anything else that is lying around. She is shut in the kitchen at night and I make sure the room is completely clear of anything that isn't furniture, otherwise it will be in pieces on the floor in the morning. Same if I go out...clear kitchen of anything.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 01:05 PM
I can leave older marrow bones about (that arent high value) and toys but cant leave anything food wise such as filled kongs or tasty bones as the girls are both posessive and its not worth the risk.

Its so hard to know when- it doesnt help as he is settled when he is in his crate- but he doesnt really like going into it in the first place- whereas ripley LOVED her crate. Im sure he would be happier loose- im just a little nervous for my belongings!!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Louie was in the crate - but he had the whole conservatory - it wasn't that big about 6ft x 8ft but we went on holiday when he was 12 weeks old and the crate wouldn't fit in the caravan - anywhere so we've had him out at 12 weeks and he is now 8 months - we had a couple of accidents but no chewed things - mainly the odd wee and some sick.

You have to wean him off the crate though. I'd leave the crate there but with the door open - it's his comfort now so you have to get him used to having the freedom. If that makes sense.

If you suspect he may be like Ripely - buy loads of rawhides or knuckle bones - things he can chew but not swallow in big chunks and choke - if you get what I mean.

At my OH's parents, Louie has the run of the house, at mine he comes in my room and because I can't sleep with the door open he has his water brought up too.

If you feel ready to trust him - do so, Ripely is completely different to Mav and you may find he just sleeps in his crate after a sniff around..
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 01:19 PM
With previous dogs I have stopped using the crate at about 5/6 months but I now have three dogs still in their crates for various reasons with just two loose in the utility room (the two oldest). One is crated because he is epileptic, one is crated because he had back surgery last year and quite happily spent a lot of time in his crate. The other one is just 15 months old and is still in her crate because I can't see any reason not to use it any more! All three have large crates so they have plenty of room to stretch out and lie flat if they want. None of them has chewed much, if at all, so that wouldn't worry me if they were loose. I just feel happier knowing they are safe and the youngster can't bully anyone!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Louie was in the crate - but he had the whole conservatory - it wasn't that big about 6ft x 8ft but we went on holiday when he was 12 weeks old and the crate wouldn't fit in the caravan - anywhere so we've had him out at 12 weeks and he is now 8 months - we had a couple of accidents but no chewed things - mainly the odd wee and some sick.

You have to wean him off the crate though. I'd leave the crate there but with the door open - it's his comfort now so you have to get him used to having the freedom. If that makes sense.

If you suspect he may be like Ripely - buy loads of rawhides or knuckle bones - things he can chew but not swallow in big chunks and choke - if you get what I mean.

At my OH's parents, Louie has the run of the house, at mine he comes in my room and because I can't sleep with the door open he has his water brought up too.

If you feel ready to trust him - do so, Ripely is completely different to Mav and you may find he just sleeps in his crate after a sniff around..
The crate really isnt his comfort...he will NOT go in there of his own accord...and anyhow if the crate door is open- ripley hogs it!!
I cant leave chews as the girls would prob fight.

I think i may try him later on when i nip to the shops- see what damage he does in 30 mins...eek!
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 01:54 PM
i bought a crate for delilah but because of the snow it didnt arrive until christmas eve, nearly a month later...i have a roller blind style stair gate (google kiddy guard - very expensive but so handy - i have them in the garden too as it is split level to protect children from falls) on the kitchen door way (no door) and she goes in the kitchen with her bed, filled kong or other treats, food, water, toys/chews and the radio on over night, when the children are eating and when we go out. it works really well for us and might be an idea for you both?
good luck whichever route you opt for x
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Ruby is 16 months and still crated. I do keep thinking i will take her out soon but she is used to the setup and she is prone to crying. The odd times ive nipped outside for few minutes and left her out she crys alot and howls, much more than she does in the crate. Also it gives the cat a break from her as she always wants to play, and the cat doesnt I will take the plunge soon but im off the opinion at the moment that if it aint broke dont fix it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >