View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Use of Pet Corrector Spray to save our mail?

Okay, so the postman's really wound Takara up and now she hates him with a passion.

What could be worse than the postman? The mail he delivers!

Every dog training book I've ordered online has teethmarks in it (ironic eh?) and she recently destroyed my sister's DVD she ordered online as it came through the letterbox.

I have a corrector spray (which I hate using) for the serious misdemeanors in life and since I got bitten trying to save Eddy from a rogue terrier that was attached to his face.

My problem - the postman comes at all different times during the day and try as I might I'm never ready for him.
T goes mental, hackles raised, ready to rip up anything that comes her way (and one day it could be his fingertip, although I think he knows better).
I don't get enough preparation time to sit her down and keep her calm, using positive reinforcement so do you think if I use the pet corrector spray when she's going mental, and arrange for a friend to come at a set time and stick some make shift letters through while I use positive reinforcement, it'll be ok?

She doesn't like the spray and I wouldn't be able to spray it near her because it frightens her but I'm at the end of my tether... a cage for the door is ok but it doesn't stop her getting so stressed and it's awkward to fit on our letter box...

Do you think it would be detrimental to her to spray the corrector spray a good distance away just to stop her if I'm doing positive training aswell?
ramoth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Could you not just put a post box outside? We are never here when the post comes so to save Harley sticking holes in evertythin we just put a lockable post box outside. Job done, no stressed dog, no holes in mail
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi Lottie,

I would like to her to start to see the postman as something positive rather than getting stressed. I think the cage would be a good idea to stop her getting the post and wrecking it - or her in another room.

Now I'm not a great expert but I would put her on a long line trailing so that - postman comes you pick up the line and reel her in to another room and reward with high high value reward - something she wouldn't get at any other time.

it might be that you may want to try and enlist the help of the postman too? Or someone to pretend to be a postman? and deliver mail - and repeat as often as you can - even the same day so that she starts to associate postman/post = big treat?

It won't be an instant fix as she has already got the routine of her behaviour down to a tee now. so will take patience and time - but I'm sure it can be done - bit like the doorbell ringing scenario when people try and stop their dogs from barking at it.

I'll see if I can find something which may explain better.

All the best,

Rach
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks Rachel,

I'm hoping to enlist someone to shove letters through but my problem lies with when he actually arrives.

I can do all the positive reinforcement and postman=treat if I know when he's going to be coming but he comes at such varied times that sometimes I'm busy upstairs and by the time I get there, it's too late

I'd really like for her to see him as a positive thing because at the moment if she sees a postman, wherever we are, she goes mental at them... it's quite embarassing
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I'd go for an outside post box. Had exacty the same problem with my terriers, used to get very wound up so I screwed the letter box shut (when I replaced the door I didn't have one put in) and had a box outside. No more stressed dogs.
Becky
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Thing is... it's not my house! And I'd rather she didn't rip up my grandparents' (or other family/friends') mail when we go to stay with them!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks Rachel,

I'm hoping to enlist someone to shove letters through but my problem lies with when he actually arrives.

I can do all the positive reinforcement and postman=treat if I know when he's going to be coming but he comes at such varied times that sometimes I'm busy upstairs and by the time I get there, it's too late

I'd really like for her to see him as a positive thing because at the moment if she sees a postman, wherever we are, she goes mental at them... it's quite embarassing
So I take it that it's only the postman and not visitors in general? Mmmm ?? Oh why are dogs so clever to distinguish - I think that you are going to have to set her up and literally have someone spend nearly all day or a good hour or two doing this - for a week or two perhaps?

Would she fall for a stooge do you think? Basically - perhaps put the trailing line on for the stooge and when you reel her in give a command - here's the postman - reel in to chosen room and reward. So that you can build up to say the command 'here's the postman' and whenever she hears that she goes to said room for reward.

I have only read this method never actually tried it and as I said before not going to be a quick fix but she should get there with practice and time. Also its really hard to write down instructions so hope it makes sense.

The first time you do this end on a positive note if you can i.e when she is almost anticipating the post and perhaps even going to the room when the post arrives.

If she is going bananas still when you reel her in - show her the treat (must be something really really high reward - i.e. cooked hot dog - something she absolutely loves otherwise she won't be bothered to stop) if you can ask for a sit and shhhh maybe.

Basically you are trying to teach her that barking at the door eating the post is dull it is far more interesting to go to x room and sit for a treat. that's the theory and Takara probably will disagree completely!!!

Do you use a clicker? If so this is a great way of showing the behaviour you do want and not the bad!

Good luck Lottie.

Also, maybe if you aren't around you could put Takara somewhere else so she can't get to the post ? Still searching the net for a decent article to help you! That might be better than my ramblings!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks Rachel -

I'd thought of a lot of the positive techniques and yes do use a clicker but I didn't think to put her house line on It will really help though I think.

She doesn't like anyone coming to the house but settles down with visitors, whereas she barks continuously for 5 minutes after the postman's left.

It winds me up because it's the postman's fault - when her behaviour wasn't too bad but she barked he used to wind her up and I only found out about it as it got worse and I caught him dancing on our drive in front of the letter box

Well I guess it's something to brighten his day when he's got to do a job like that in the rain - just wish he didn't do it with my dog
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks Rachel -

I'd thought of a lot of the positive techniques and yes do use a clicker but I didn't think to put her house line on It will really help though I think.

She doesn't like anyone coming to the house but settles down with visitors, whereas she barks continuously for 5 minutes after the postman's left.

It winds me up because it's the postman's fault - when her behaviour wasn't too bad but she barked he used to wind her up and I only found out about it as it got worse and I caught him dancing on our drive in front of the letter box

Well I guess it's something to brighten his day when he's got to do a job like that in the rain - just wish he didn't do it with my dog
Well even dummy visitor practice might help her just get used to people coming and going (I still haven't cracked this one!)

And as for the postman winding her up jeez!! What on earth - no wonder she goes mad - if it were me I might have a quiet word (well loud word maybe) in his ear about that! Most postmen/women I know have actually tried to befriend my dogs not wind them up! He is unbelievable!

The houseline means she can't ignore you to come to you - and I would suggest you don't use a recall but another command doesn't have to be 'here's the postman' - esp. if you want to use for all visitors maybe!

Hope it works!!!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I had to get a box fitted outside cause the postman refused to deliver my mail, even one morning when Suki and I were out we came back to a note through the door, could'nt deliver mail because of dangerous dog lol. Thing is it was a postman that started her going for the mail in the first place, he used to play with her through the glass because he could see her when she was a puppy he thought it was funny.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >