View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Where do you live and is it a nice area for dogs??

I am currently living in Italy but struggling to find work or make any friends here (live in a very rural area) so I am planning to come back to the UK. I am from Sussex but I will need a cheaper area to move to so am looking for ideas.

If people would be willing to share what areas they live in and what it's like for dog walking (def need it to have no free ranging sheep)...oh and any photos of some of your local dog walks would be fab. One place that I was thinking of was Lincolnshire...is there anyone on here from that area?

Thank you!!
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi there,

Are you looking to buy in Lincolnshire?
If yes somebody on here is selling a beautiful bungalow with land and kennels.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=132601

We are in Kinross, Scotland, and it is beautiful up here and a lot cheaper for buying houses.

http://www.hspc.co.uk/

Sutherland would be my ideal move, lots of open spaces, but where ever you live in Scotland you are only a short drive from lovely dog walks.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I live in a rural area of Nottingham - not sure if it's cheap or not though..

Where I live I am 10 minutes away from a lake and 20 minutes away from a country park - walking distance. Driving distance - I am 20 minutes away from a colliery where Leanne and I take Louie training - they're changing it into a more people type place - which is rubbish because hardly any one is there and it's perfect for the dogs at the moment. Urm there are plenty of woods also within driving distance too - so where I live is perfect for the dogs - except ones who aren't good on the roads - we have to walk down a country lane to get anywhere.

Rural Nottingham would be a great place for your GSD's I should think, but then again Yorkshire is a lovely place too and Cumbria - all with plenty of countryside and lovely walks as well as scenery - Scotlands another good place too.
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2011, 09:35 AM
We're in Surrey where it is unfortunately horrendously expensive, but we would like to move further to the coast like Worthing - where you can get lovely bungalows and get much better value for money.

We do have absolutely lovely walks right from our door, or within a 20 minute drive, so can't complain but it is extremely pricey around here. West Sussex is just on our doorstep where Horsham and Crawley are more reasonable and theres alot of nice parks and woodland.
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Thank you all. I actually come from Worthing, but it is too out of my price range plus I would like to move somewhere new.

I am looking about for a live in kennel job to begin with because I need to sell my house in Italy before I can buy anything in the UK, but then I would really like to set up dog walking.

Michael, I really love Scotland (it was where I wanted to move to before Italy) especially the highlands but I think it is too expensive for me, apart from the very rural areas, which I would probably then struggle with to find work.

Rural Notts sounds good or Cumbria...but are there a lot of free ranging sheep? I haven't been North very much and only to Yorkshire but there were a lot of sheep everywhere so it was difficult to let the dogs off...
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
Thank you all. I actually come from Worthing, but it is too out of my price range plus I would like to move somewhere new.

I am looking about for a live in kennel job to begin with because I need to sell my house in Italy before I can buy anything in the UK, but then I would really like to set up dog walking.

Michael, I really love Scotland (it was where I wanted to move to before Italy) especially the highlands but I think it is too expensive for me, apart from the very rural areas, which I would probably then struggle with to find work.

Rural Notts sounds good or Cumbria...but are there a lot of free ranging sheep? I haven't been North very much and only to Yorkshire but there were a lot of sheep everywhere so it was difficult to let the dogs off...
Where I live - there is one field but it is pretty difficult to get into, Cumbria - I should have read your question properly - is full of free ranging sheep and goats - well where I've been there has been, perhaps ask Anne-Marie, where she takes Marius looks pretty sheep free (She's in Cumbria) Yorkshire - it depends where you go, the South of Yorkshire isn't very much sheep country but again I only know around where I lived with my parents.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks, that looks good, I have also seen a few live in kennel jobs advertised but because I need to tie up some stuff here I can't come back until the end of June so can't apply for anything yet. Which makes it all the more stressful as I don't have a concrete plan.

Thanks SLB, I had a feeling that Cumbria had sheep. We had sheep in Sussex but they are in fenced fields so it's easy to avoid them, I think my youngster could well try and chase sheep if they are all over the place and we suddenly came upon them and I would hate to not be able to let him off because he has so much energy.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 10:04 AM
I did a little search for you and got no further than these - I want these houses!

http://residentialsearch.savills.co....-detail/233465
http://residentialsearch.savills.co....00000/hi/gbp/1

Hahaa bit pricey though.

This one is just up the road from me..are you looking to rent or buy?
http://www.haart.co.uk/buying-house/...h-results.aspx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 10:04 AM
And I am sure you want to be located close to a schutzhund training club?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »