Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2008, 07:32 PM

After leg ops

My dog had two knee ops 7 months ago,and now is just recovering from a second tail op... Until she had her recent tail ops, i was letting her off lead but limiting the amount of play with other dogs as just feel a little nervous about her overdoing it and having more leg problems.... I wonder if anyone else on Dogsey whos dog has had leg ops is cautious or is it just me being over concerned and will it ever be ok to just let her play........
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I know Exactly how you feel.

Hoki my rescue dog, had her right knee done last year and her left knee done in June this year.

And yes, at first I was paranoid. A couple of times I actually felt physically sick as I was sure she'd done it again (e.g. when my other dog ran full pelt into the side of her and sent her flying and she got up on 3 legs).

Even when the vet gave the all clear, I've been cautious (probably over cautious) about what she can do. Hoki isn't really into playing with other dogs, but she loves playing ball. I would cringe if someone threw the ball to her too high in the air so she had to jump on her rear legs and I wouldn't let her actively chase her ball - I would make her stay, throw it and then let her get it (because otherwise there was a risk that she would skid/twist/turn) if she misjudged the moving ball.

However, as the weeks/months have past, I've been getting more and more brave. Her muscles must be fairly well built up now and I've seen her doing things that she's never been able to do the whole two years I've owned her (rescue dog who came with the dodgy knees).

The only thing now that I do still try to limit is her twisting and turning e.g. I try always to throw her ball in the direction she's already facing.

Particularly as your girl has been on enforced rest due to her tail, if it was me, I would build the exercise up again slowly, more to make sure her muscles gain in strength. But overtime (and of course subject to what your vet has said) I would let her just get on with things.

I don't think I will truly ever completely relax, but to my mind, I have to let her be the dog she wants to be as much as possible. She is sooo much happier now, it is fantastic to see.

(by the way, you have my two dogs rolled into one - I have two border collies - one without a tale and one with 2 artificial cruciate ligaments )
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I know Exactly how you feel.

Hoki my rescue dog, had her right knee done last year and her left knee done in June this year.

And yes, at first I was paranoid. A couple of times I actually felt physically sick as I was sure she'd done it again (e.g. when my other dog ran full pelt into the side of her and sent her flying and she got up on 3 legs).

Even when the vet gave the all clear, I've been cautious (probably over cautious) about what she can do. Hoki isn't really into playing with other dogs, but she loves playing ball. I would cringe if someone threw the ball to her too high in the air so she had to jump on her rear legs and I wouldn't let her actively chase her ball - I would make her stay, throw it and then let her get it (because otherwise there was a risk that she would skid/twist/turn) if she misjudged the moving ball.

However, as the weeks/months have past, I've been getting more and more brave. Her muscles must be fairly well built up now and I've seen her doing things that she's never been able to do the whole two years I've owned her (rescue dog who came with the dodgy knees).

The only thing now that I do still try to limit is her twisting and turning e.g. I try always to throw her ball in the direction she's already facing.

Particularly as your girl has been on enforced rest due to her tail, if it was me, I would build the exercise up again slowly, more to make sure her muscles gain in strength. But overtime (and of course subject to what your vet has said) I would let her just get on with things.

I don't think I will truly ever completely relax, but to my mind, I have to let her be the dog she wants to be as much as possible. She is sooo much happier now, it is fantastic to see.

(by the way, you have my two dogs rolled into one - I have two border collies - one without a tale and one with 2 artificial cruciate ligaments )
Hi Hali Thank you for your reply, I find it quite difficult to just relax and let her have the freedom that she enjoyed before all her ops, i did take her for some hydrotherapy sessions after her leg ops but that is off limits for the time being whilst recovering from tail surgery.. Its hard when you want to see them enjoying themselves and having fun but at the same time dread things going wrong again..I agree with what you say about throwing the ball etc, i try to minimise any risk of injury by at least throwing it in the direction she is facing so as to avoid her turning/twisting too much.. My girl is only being lead walked at the mo until her tail is healed, but we walk for a good 2/3 miles a day so hopefully its enough to keep her muscles strong...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Good luck with it, I do think in time you will relax a bit more and there will come a time when you can simply enjoy watching her running around.