Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
singingintherai
New Member!
Female 

13-05-2013, 09:13 PM

Insurance - HELP!

Help! My Cavalier Maisie's pet insurance coming up for renewal this week and I don't know what to do for the best. I want to change to a lifetime policy so the options are upgrade to Advanced Direct Line Policy (£23.18 a month, up to £6000 per condition - eg to last for life - although that may not be enough?), Pet Plan (£30.40 a month, up to £7000 allowance (given every year), or VetsMediCover - £28 a month, £10,000 per year allowance (given every year) I'm inclined to leave Direct Line because the reviews online are awful and the cover is not very high. So its really between the other two. Unfortunately, neither of them will cover her for anything she's been seen for previously, but I'm still going down the lifetime route, cos no one knows what the future holds...

Has anyone got any advice or experience of petplan or vetsmedi cover? Thanks in advance!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-05-2013, 09:48 PM
I've gone with VetsMediCover this time. You are never going to get covered for pre-existing conditions, I have always gone for lifetime cover, my 2 older girls are 8 this year and the quote from VetsMedicover was less than half what I was quoted by my existing insurers, I have never claimed on my insurance either!!! I will be now staying with VetsMediCover because I think the cover is fantastic for the premium asked for. I have got one of my younger girls insured with a different company, but as soon as the quotes go above what I am paying for my 2 older girls she too will be going with VetsMedicover, as will my youngest girlie who is only 6 months old at present
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2013, 06:06 AM
If you ugrade with Direct Line you might not be covered for pre existing conditions. Something worth checking out as I know with M&S I was told that it would be treated as a new policy if I did that with them.

Pet Plan have lots of good reviews. I was with them for a year with Finn but have ended up changing to VetsMediCover. Not had to claim so have no idea how they are to deal with.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-05-2013, 06:17 AM
I am also with vets medicover and would strongly recommend them I have had to claim for Dillon twice in 18 months never a problem I know he is covered for life and they are always very polite when I ring for a claim form.
They do like you to have a chat with them before setting off to the vet which I do because I always take my claim form along with me just in case it is going to be an expensive job and they pay direct to my vet too.
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2013, 07:41 AM
HI I have been with petplan for my cats for 12 years. I have not had a problem with making a claim and the money always seems to arrive quickly. I have insured ellen with them as well as well as she is now 8 years old and I wanted her somewhere relaible. They are expensive though as they wanted to charge me nearly the same for my younger two cats who are 4 and 5 as they 16 years old. So I am trying out more than pet insurance with them.
I haven't heard of vetsmedicover before so moight move ellen over to them depending on what petplan ask when she need to be renewed.

I know you are talking about a dog not cats but I have had cats for longer than ellen and only had to start insuring her last year.

Anyway sorry for rambling but petplan are good and do pay out promtly. They do cost more though.

Ndidi
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-05-2013, 09:12 AM
I think you'll find VetsMedicover cheaper than PetPlan. If I had only the one dog then more than likely I would be with Petplan, all my puppies leave me with 4 weeks PetPlan insurance and I do recommend them, my horse was insured with them and they were wonderful. However empty pockets mean I can't afford to be with them, I have found VetsMedicover to be really helpful and they answered all my questions in full with no hesitation whatsoever. The cover they offer is excellent as well.