Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2008, 10:52 PM

Best way to start barf?

I'm going to try mine on the barf diet.
I thought about feeding them rice, raw veg & raw mince (to start with) & a bit of natures diet mixer?
I'm will vary the rice to pasta and also give them different meats. They have kidney heart & liver anyway
I'm also going to use either prize's choice or nature's diet as well.
Would i feed the bones as a meal?
Would this be ok as i'm worried i'm not going to give them enough of each to give them a balanced diet.
Any advice welcome???
Thanks
deez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2008, 08:25 AM
i ve been told rice and pasta, dont really give any nutrition, just adds bulk. i give mine chicken wings/ thighs and mixed veg, yoghurt, eggs, fish, bones, and whatever i can get my hands on from butcher etc
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I started mine on chicken wings. I now get chicken carcasses free from the butcher. Lamb bones are good, but legs can splinter so are best avoided. Beef bones contain toxins because the animal is older, so try to get bones from young animals. Personally I wouldn't bother with rice or pasta. Dogs don't actually need carbs like we do. A border Collie should only need about one small carcass per day plus offal and veg. I make a mix of heart, various fruit and veg and natural yogurt and whizz it up in the food processor. You can freeze it in batches so it's very little effort. I give this mix about two to three days every fortnight.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2008, 11:01 AM
If I were you Jules I would do a lot more research. If you are goingto feed raw you need to do a lot of reading about it to find out which style of raw you want to feed and what ratios of meat/bone/organs you need to be giving. The links Evie put up on your other thread are very good.

The BARF Billingshurst diet is full of unnessecary things like veggies and supplements and way too much bone.

Tom Lonsdale's way of feeding the prey-model diet is a much better way to feed raw IMO. If you join the raw feeding group on Yahoo you can search the archives there and get so much brilliant advice and info. There's also the Britbarf group which covers different styles of raw feeding.

Pasta and rice are pointless to feed to a raw fed dog. They can't digest them and so get no nutritional benefit. They are used in commercial pet food as a cheap filler. Veggies are not needed either as dogs can't break down cellulose so it just goes straight through them. My dog doesn't get any pasta/rice/wheat/fruit/veggies at all. Just raw meat, bones and organs.