Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Brin the dog our troops rescued

I'm not sure if there is already a thread on this story, I searched but did't find one

Anyway, a lady on OFF has revealed that she was the person who provided the remaining £1000 needed to bring him back to the UK. Here's what she posted on OFF:-

"Hi there,
I have read these posts with great interest as I am the lady who helped save this dog for the troops.
Brin came to my attention due to a soldier asking for help as this dog had not only saved many lives but was due to be shot as a feral stray despite what he had done to help.
Money is a factor...not the animals fault but the cost of quarantine in this country is high.
I can see both sides of the arguments here but one thing I will say is this...I have a letter here from an elderly gentlemen who served in the forces in 1967. He sent a donation for Brin in memory of all the strays he befriended during his time..he had never forgotten the companionship and warmth they had given him during a terrible conflict.
The soldiers asked for help in Afghanistan and I tried.
Nothing can ever replace a human life in war..but the joy these lads and lassies felt knowing that Brin was to be saved was wonderful and they needed that knowledge that someone was there and trying to help.
I am glad and privileged to have been part of that moment.
Sally
"

I think she should be made an honary member of Dogsey
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I'm not sure if there is already a thread on this story, I searched but did't find one

Anyway, a lady on OFF has revealed that she was the person who provided the remaining £1000 needed to bring him back to the UK. Here's what she posted on OFF:-

"Hi there,
I have read these posts with great interest as I am the lady who helped save this dog for the troops.
Brin came to my attention due to a soldier asking for help as this dog had not only saved many lives but was due to be shot as a feral stray despite what he had done to help.
Money is a factor...not the animals fault but the cost of quarantine in this country is high.
I can see both sides of the arguments here but one thing I will say is this...I have a letter here from an elderly gentlemen who served in the forces in 1967. He sent a donation for Brin in memory of all the strays he befriended during his time..he had never forgotten the companionship and warmth they had given him during a terrible conflict.
The soldiers asked for help in Afghanistan and I tried.
Nothing can ever replace a human life in war..but the joy these lads and lassies felt knowing that Brin was to be saved was wonderful and they needed that knowledge that someone was there and trying to help.
I am glad and privileged to have been part of that moment.
Sally
"

I think she should be made an honary member of Dogsey
Here Here
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2010, 02:05 PM
That`s lovely.
Sally Jane
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Hi there,
The quote is from me ( not the lady who donated the remaining money needed to bring Brin home who wishes to remain anon).
I am the lady who started the campaign for Captain Mark Townend who wanted Brin to be saved from being left behind.
Brin is now home in the UK and doing very well. He has had a visit from Mark and it was a wonderful reunion.
Here is the video for you all to enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZJKjFuiwMw

Thankyou for sharing this story.
There are more like these at
www.nowzad.com

Best wishes
Sally
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 11:45 AM
That is so lovely, have gone teary now, bless all of you for helping Brin.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Sally Jane View Post
The quote is from me ( not the lady who donated the remaining money needed to bring Brin home who wishes to remain anon).
Sally
Hi Sally,
Sorry I inadvertently mixed you up with the anonymous lady, both of you are clearly very kind and generous people.

I was annoyed that one or two people on OFF said it was not worth rescuing Brin, they clearly had not thought about the situation and the fact he had helped our troops and likely saved some of our guys from death or injury.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Oh what a heartwarming story, well done to everyone involved in bringing that little star back to the UK, especially the anon lady and Sally, hats off to you!
Off to watch the video now
Sally Jane
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Hello again!
Please don't apologise...the lady in question re the donation was indeed a star and helped to finalise the money needed to get Brin home.
It was a long hard mission but worth every moment...and to see Brin and Mark together was a true joy.
I have read Brins story on many forums and have no axe to grind over whether he should have been saved or not.
People are entitled to their opinion and when soldiers are dying over there it is, of course, going to cause mixed emotions.
But, the soldiers wanted him safe and this was my aim to help..and people responded.
A dog can never replace a soldiers life but for these brave souls a dog can bring calm and unconditional love in a place where there is little else except fear at present.
Brin and Mark's reunion showed a huge level of respect and love for each other and a history that we can only guess at...
I am truly glad they are both safe.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Best wishes

Sally
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Ahh I have just read Pen Farthings book about Nowzad. A fantastic read that I recommend to all dog lovers out there!!