Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Need some help - dog acting weird

I have a vet appointment for tomorrow - but need answers now....

My 4 year old pit mix was fine all day yesterday and is fine now... but last night as far as I know she walked from one end of my apartment to the other just fine. However when she followed me into the bathroom she did something ive NEVER seen. She stood there and her head was turning in circles then stopped then started again (i couldnt see her eyes because i didnt have my glasses on). Her legs were shaking and started to slide from under her - then she just fell over!!!!

It was horrifying - but she got up immediately and ran into my room - i watched her for the next hour and she was fine.

Was this a seizure????? What are the causes of that????? She had her annual exam 2 months ago - i dont know if she had any health issues if it would show up in an exam like that.

My bf said maybe she was sleepwalking??? (but as stated she walked pretty far before this happened) Plus, Im not sure how common that is in dogs anyway....

About an hour ago I took her outside and she stood there salivating - it was dripping from her closed mouth.

She is eating, peeing and i just got her to play a little bit...

thanks for any help
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-06-2010, 10:26 PM
How do her ears look / smell ?
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2010, 10:46 PM
They look fine - i checked her teeth and gums - they look fine (as far as I can tell)

Shes not scratching and there are no strange odors....

Shes eating now...
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 10:52 PM
My first thought was possibly Wobbler disease ? - Symptoms are usually gradual in onset but may progress rapidly.

Maybe do a search and see if it sounds like what you saw happen to your dog, only you saw it.
Im sure the vets will be able to answer alot more question tomorrow though
good luck
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Im not quite sure about that one - although Rhodesian Ridgebacks are listed as having it and it has been suggested she could be at least part RR.

What Im really looking at now is Cerebellar abiotrophy (which has no cure) and Syringomyelia:

"Sometimes the dog will scratch without ever making skin contact"
(she was doing this for awhile a few months ago - hasnt done it lately - dont know if that means anything)
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 05:52 AM
My first thought was a seizure. Hopefully your vet will be able to diagnose the problem.

Good luck x
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2010, 09:16 AM
It could be something as simple as an inner ear infection, that would make the dog shake their head, and loose balance. Hopefully you've been to the vet now and will be on the way to finding out what is wrong with your dog. Fingers crossed it's not anything severe xx
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Her blood work came back fine...

Today (a week later) she threw up. She normally does that after eating grass - today was not the case.

I was told to just keep an eye on her. She hasnt had another form of a seizure - but the vet definitely thought that was the case.

Does anyone know what vomiting could mean? Would an inner ear issue cause that? She didnt shake her head that night btw - she moved her head in a circle (very weird).

THANKS