Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 11:10 PM

eating post

any ideas to stop my dog eating/shreading my post??
Thanks
ATD x
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2009, 11:28 PM
what about one of those box things that go on the back of your door? so the post drops straight in to that as its put through the letter box or even a box that goes on to your outside wall?
hope you find some thing that works it must be a nightmare to find your post constantly shredded
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by loufoxyloxy View Post
what about one of those box things that go on the back of your door? so the post drops straight in to that as its put through the letter box or even a box that goes on to your outside wall?
hope you find some thing that works it must be a nightmare to find your post constantly shredded
thats what i was going to suggest too!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 05:48 AM
Len used to do this so I gaffa taped a heavy duty carrier bag over the letter box so the post went into the bag.

Eventually he stopped, and although he now rushes to the door and grabs the post as it comes through the letter box, he drops it on the floor.

We've gone from shredded to just teeth marks, which is excellent.

Hope you sort it out
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi,
[QUOTE=loufoxyloxy;1747504]what about one of those box things that go on the back of your door? QUOTE]
we are going into rented, and is a pvc door the ones i have seen have to be screwed in. so can have that one

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Len used to do this so I gaffa taped a heavy duty carrier bag over the letter box so the post went into the bag.
Suki would shread the bad and the gaffa tape she is strong for the size of her she managed to pop a rugy ball.

I was thinking more alone the lines of stopping the behaviour rather than prevent her getting to the post.

I have tried dad standing on the outside posting things while im inside telling her to "leave it" if she does she gets a treat. BUT i think she is learning that go for the post i gets told to leave it i get a treat rather than leave the post from the off and i get a treat if this makes sence. The other day the post came she left it woohoo my mum though we had made progress so as she was coming down the stairs she tol her good girl and the she started shreading
Thanks
ATD x
Steven_L
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
I was thinking more alone the lines of stopping the behaviour rather than prevent her getting to the post.
Good job for wanting to stop the behavior at the roots rather than just masking it!

Btw...is 'post' what you guys in the UK call mail or something? At first I thought that your dog was eating like a wooden post/pole or something. Sorry I'm from California, USA!

Now back to the question,

What you might want to do is put some 'post' in front of your pooch and a toy. Spray the post with bitter apple (yucky tasting for the dog) so that if she grabs it she won't like it. Encourage her to grab the toy, if she does then you play with her or give her a treat. If she doesn't say "No" and put everything away and wait for a few minutes. Keep trying until she chooses the toy over the post. With every success increase the ratio of post to toy and have her pick what she wants (which should eventually be the toy). Under no circumstances let her have the post. Whenever you catch her with it, say "No" in a firm and clear voice and take it away.

You can also use a sound deterent. Have the post waiting by the door, when you notice that your pooch is going to grab it, inconspiciously throw a bundle of keys near her. Try your hardest to avoid having her know it was you. Don't throw the keys AT your dog, no we don't want to hurt her. When you throw the keys near her, she'll start believe that the post is making weird and scary noises and she'll leave it alone. I think in the UK you can also get something called 'training disks' those act like keys too, making a bunch of noise when thrown on the floor.

Best of wishes!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
any ideas to stop my dog eating/shreading my post??
Thanks
ATD x
Fix a post basket to the back of your letterbox
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Steven_L View Post
Good job for wanting to stop the behavior at the roots rather than just masking it!

Btw...is 'post' what you guys in the UK call mail or something? At first I thought that your dog was eating like a wooden post/pole or something. Sorry I'm from California, USA!
Best of wishes!
Lol, yes

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Fix a post basket to the back of your letterbox
ATD says she can't do this because she is in rented accomodation and the door is plastic
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Get an american mail box and put it on a heavy metal pole and put it outside the door. You can then take it anywhere with you, or just leave a bix outside the door, large bucket with a lid and put a note on it saying post in here please.
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 12:06 PM
The postbox (I have one) goes on the wall beside the door, not on the door.