Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2013, 10:08 AM

Another rubbish walk - two days in a row

I'm fed up; we've had two different dogs in two days having a go at Loki!

Yesterday as we approached this silly woman with her little Jack Russell, the dog started growling at Loki. The dog (Barney) was off lead and Loki on lead.

"Just tell him to go," she called out, "and he will."

Yeah right! Barney came closer. "He won't let me hold him!" she warned me. WTF????

We then proceeded to have to pirouette about 3 times while Barney continually tried to lunge at Loki's rear.

We've come across Barney many times and he always tries to get to Loki. He's only brave though when his owner is there, otherwise he tends to run away. One time, he flew from a bush at Loki's throat, Loki caught him and tossed him away, he ran across a road and just dodged a car. He is never on a lead and the owner doesn't seem to understand.

On other occasions, she's warned me to pass by quietly because Barney is off in the field "somewhere" and we might be able to get away if he doesn't hear us. ( )

Then this morning, we were walking (on lead) up a quiet rural road and another smallish dog came charging at Loki from someone's drive. I only knew it was coming because the owner called out. Poor Loki got covered in some horrible tarry mud while I was trying to get him away.

Thing is, I probably shouldn't try to get Loki away because he can't defend himself properly but I react without thinking, probably because I'm aware that he is bigger and quite handy in a fight and I don't want him to hurt the other dogs, even though they are off lead and having a go at him. I'm so flipping tempted to just leave him to it sometimes.

Then, we came across Barney again, glaring across a field at us, and when we were the other side of the stream, Barney started barking at Loki.

Why, oh why, do some owners not keep their dogs under control? Near roads too!!! Loki is 8 now, epileptic, just getting over his last fits and a bit wobbly after having his phenobarbital increased, so I'm especially cheesed off with it all.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Linda is is infuriating how some owners don't seem to have any thought for others. As you know where Barney lives I would certainly report his owner for allowing her dog to be out of control.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm fed up; we've had two different dogs in two days having a go at Loki!

Yesterday as we approached this silly woman with her little Jack Russell, the dog started growling at Loki. The dog (Barney) was off lead and Loki on lead.

"Just tell him to go," she called out, "and he will."

Yeah right! Barney came closer. "He won't let me hold him!" she warned me. WTF????

We then proceeded to have to pirouette about 3 times while Barney continually tried to lunge at Loki's rear.

We've come across Barney many times and he always tries to get to Loki. He's only brave though when his owner is there, otherwise he tends to run away. One time, he flew from a bush at Loki's throat, Loki caught him and tossed him away, he ran across a road and just dodged a car. He is never on a lead and the owner doesn't seem to understand.

On other occasions, she's warned me to pass by quietly because Barney is off in the field "somewhere" and we might be able to get away if he doesn't hear us. ( )

Then this morning, we were walking (on lead) up a quiet rural road and another smallish dog came charging at Loki from someone's drive. I only knew it was coming because the owner called out. Poor Loki got covered in some horrible tarry mud while I was trying to get him away.

Thing is, I probably shouldn't try to get Loki away because he can't defend himself properly but I react without thinking, probably because I'm aware that he is bigger and quite handy in a fight and I don't want him to hurt the other dogs, even though they are off lead and having a go at him. I'm so flipping tempted to just leave him to it sometimes.

Then, we came across Barney again, glaring across a field at us, and when we were the other side of the stream, Barney started barking at Loki.

Why, oh why, do some owners not keep their dogs under control? Near roads too!!! Loki is 8 now, epileptic, just getting over his last fits and a bit wobbly after having his phenobarbital increased, so I'm especially cheesed off with it all.
I'm afraid this stupid woman with Barney would be getting a mouthful from me and told to use a bloody lead. I would also report her for having an out of control dog.

You have the right to walk without her dog having a pop at yours! I would probably even start taking a pet corrector out with me to deal with Barney, if she won't control her dog someone has to.

Poor Loki, I hope it doesn't stress him out too much.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks Mini - I probably could but I do feel for her really. She's getting on and lives on her own with him and I wouldn't want to cause trouble for her. Having said that though, they'd probably just have a chat with her and give her advice.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2013, 10:23 AM
oh poor loki i hate idiotic dog walkers..
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2013, 10:40 AM
What a pain, how can the dog 'not let her hold him'? It's obvious she doesn't realise how distressing it is for you, maybe you are too nice and don't give off the "this is really peeing me off' vibes to her or she's too thick skinned to notice?

I don't know but I would write her a note just let her know how poorly Loki has been and how upsetting her dogs behaviour is to you and Loki, some people seem to think little dogs can do no harm to a big dog, very strange philosophy as little teeth still hurt, but a quick note, no improvement then a call to the warden.
Walking our dogs is meant to be enjoyable not a whole heap of stress, I bet they would be the first to complain if theirs got bitten even though Loki would be well within his rights to tell them off.
Hope you get better walks from now on
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-01-2013, 11:15 AM
OMG Linda I have exactly the same problem here with an old bloke with this ****** collie thing that has been attacking my dogs for 8 years now, first of all Tawney when she was recovering from her strokes and then the girlies from being 14 weeks. He cannot seem to understand his dog should be onlead, it is running into the road, running into fields chasing horses etc. I have spoken to his family and they sort of indicate he is losing it, by saying 'he is getting old' and I say we are all getting old but I am at the stage of calling the dog warden, but of course, like you, I never do, because you don't want to make trouble for them, but if Loki gets Barney then I am damn sure there would be trouble for you, just as if mine get this **** collie then there would be trouble for me. Outside looking in, I would call the dog warden and ask for advice and your position if your dog is onlead and this dog goes for him, the advice I received when I did this was that the onlead dog is 'in the right' for want of a better phrase, and they did offer to go and have a word, but I decided against it. I, myself, am considering ringing them again about the dog and asking what if my dogs hurt that dog if it attacks and they do it some harm. Instincts say just let them get on with it, but in this day and age, and laws being what they are, we could end up in the brown stuff, I know.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Totally irresponsible behaviour Linda, but some people will never learn.

Poor Loki - it really is so important to not stress him out and I would have screeched my head off.

Actually I do - I am probably known as the mad woman who rushes [?] out like a headless chicken and does a crazy fishwife act if ever a dog tries to come into the yard near Pereg - or when some of the nasties around deliberately try to wind her up.

Please give Loki a hug from me and a polite snuffly kiss from Pereg.

xx
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again a walking stick and a loud whistle are my answer, people and dogs tend to back off from mad whistling woman waving a stick in the air !
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-01-2013, 12:50 PM
What hand do you hold the walking stick in when you've got 3 dogs, and a *****collie attacking you, young girlie trying to get behind you, older girlies jostling for position as to which one of them is going to get said ****collie, would I swallow the whistle, very likely
Linda, how about next time she shouts that she can't get hold of him, shout back that if SHE doesn't you will be onto the dog warden who will come round and get hold of him!!! and see what transpires from thereon!! Therefore she has been made aware that you are seriously considering taking it further and maybe, just maybe, she will find where she keeps the things lead
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >