Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2008, 06:49 PM

Charging at other dogs

We're after suggestions of stopping our dog charging at other dogs. He's not being aggressive as usually he's wanting to play, but he goes into cheetah mode by stalking low to the ground when he sees a dog walking towards us, he then makes a sudden dash at them. We have sometimes been able to distract him by calling him for a treat but this doesn't always work. He's well trained in other areas (we've had him a year now, he's a rescue dog and we think he has some german shepherd in him but not sure what else ) but this does seem to be a habit we would like to break, any ideas would be gratefully received.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Sorry I haven't any advice, but just wanted to say my dog does this too when he's off lead! He isn't wanting to attack, he just wants to pounce on the other dog and get it to play. I worry though that some dogs might take it as aggression so I try to distract him from doing it. Like with your dog, it doesn't always work though
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Firstly, I would work on his recall and keep him on lead at suitable times until recall is established, as it isnt fair for the other dogs to be pounced on.........especially if they have a fear of other dogs or are being exercised cautiously after an injury etc.

Recall practise will be your only hope really, and best to try in places like enclosed tennis courts or similar, where you can make yourself more fun and interesting than anything else that's around and hopefully his recall will improve.

As for the stalking, some dogs just do that, as that's how they like to play
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Sorry, when I say he 'pounces' on other dogs I don't mean he literally jumps on them - he just stalks up to them then jumps up to standing position. Sorry I was unclear there
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 08:18 PM
you could maybe try turning and walking the other way for a few paces and then turn back to try again. Eventually they will get the idea that they won't get near the other dog until they use their manners.

Heidi