Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2006, 02:14 PM

JRT wees on the floor when left alone

My 11 week old JRT always wees on the floor if he is left in a room on his own! Even if we're in the flat with him but in a different room he will whine and wee where he is standing, why is this?
Sooner or later we will need to leave him on his own for an hour or so but we are too scared to do this at the moment because of the weeing. Is it just because he's still so young?
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 02:28 PM
i'm not an expert, but it probably is cos he is still so young, he may be worrying where you are. Does he know his way around your flat yet, he might ne wondering where to go to fins you.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 02:41 PM
My dog still does this sometimes at 2 years old - although its separation anxiety with him - he doesn't like to be left alone even for 1/2hr when I take my daughter to school. I always leave him in the kitchen with the door open but a dog gate on so he can't get into the living room because its easier to mop up in the kitchen. At 11 weeks old though your JRT is still a puppy and it might just be that he hasn't learned to control his bladder yet and will probably stop doing this as he gets older and more confident.
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2006, 02:42 PM
He will run from one end of the front room into the hall way into the bedroom into the kitchen into the bathroom and into the front room again over and over Funny to watch
He seems to like it when he can see us, if we open all the doors and we go into another room he will follow us then go into the front room on his own but keeps checking to see if we are still there. At the moment i will only leave him alone for about 10 minutes to see how he is but as soon as the door is shut he moans like a good un
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-08-2006, 03:46 PM
It sound as if your puppy is of a nervous and frightened disposition and needs building up his confidence. Hopefully, this should improve as he gets older, but in the meantime, it is important to try and prevent him from getting into any stressful situations.

As he hates being on his own, What might help to some degree is, if instead of shutting the door, you could leave it open, and maybe use a gate (like a childs safety gate) this might stop him, feeling so shut in. Its all trial and error though
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ray
It sound as if your puppy is of a nervous and frightened disposition and needs building up his confidence. Hopefully, this should improve as he gets older, but in the meantime, it is important to try and prevent him from getting into any stressful situations.

As he hates being on his own, What might help to some degree is, if instead of shutting the door, you could leave it open, and maybe use a gate (like a childs safety gate) this might stop him, feeling so shut in. Its all trial and error though
Thanks i'll have a try
He is usually really good when he's with us and wees on the paper and we make a big fuss of him but occassionally he'll look at us and wee on the floor!!!! We dont smack him or shout we just pick him up and put him in the paper where he will happily sit until we call him to come off